Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trimmer Seaplane door modification progress.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trimmer Seaplane door modification progress.

Trim/sheet metal formers for both doors about done. Waiting on three parts from Univair to finish fitting and welding. Stripped the paint from the cargo door aluminum parts. The Klean Strip is better than the old Jasco my mom and I used to strip antique furniture 40 years ago. Triple layer exam gloves lasted maybe five minutes.
    Mark M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 09-14-2022 at 09:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trimmer Seaplane door modification progress.

Do you know if you can fly with the doors open or off with this mod?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by txfirefighter628 View Post
    Do you know if you can fly with the doors open or off with this mod?
    Eddie will "officially" tell you the doors were not tested in the open position; therefore the "official" answer would be "no"... until he gets to know you. However, Craig (avcan) has stated he's flown the Chaser with doors in the full, airing out position.
    Curt
    N7606K/N4405H

Post Thanks / Like

Time out.....almost over. Seaplane doors next. Just finished remodeling the old hardware section of the grocery store. Will be opening a mini mart in this space next month..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When you put in the vertical tube from the forward wing attach to the bottom of the fuselage, was that because the old tube had corrosion or does the STC require thicker tubing?

Post Thanks / Like

Requires a thicker wall tube on the left side. I changed out both side...by making a dumb mistake...cut out the right side when the fuselage was upside down..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE

Requires a thicker wall tube on the left side. I changed out both side...by making a dumb mistake...cut out the right side when the fuselage was upside down..

[/QUOTE]

Isnt the addition of the thicker vertical tube for the Trimmer gear STC not the seaplane door?

Would love an update on your Pacer - have been reading all the posts with great interest but slightly overwhelmed at the amount of planning, new skills and quality of finish needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trimmer Seaplane door modification progress.

A couple things got in the way..one..haven’t had the time to generate the drawings for a Boeing engineer to do the necessary work for a field approval. Eddie’s Trimmer’s DER is always doing something else.. built a new powerhouse after finishing the fuselage...busted both hands... gimping around going on three months after an extension ladder came out from under me when I was connecting utility power lines to a new construction home....have the left wing nearly ready for cover. But with no approval for the modifications on the horizon...have a set of 12 rib wings covered through primer coming up from Arkansas. Marv (fabricman)should be departing from Huntsville Ar on Thursday. Let’s see.....I used my Borer prop on Marv’s PA22/20 after the overhaul...wasn’t about to reinstall the ..... other prop. I’m not real happy with the top speed of the 82/42 prop. Sure makes for short steep takeoffs...but I want more on the top end.....since I’m going with short original wings and eventually will use the wings I’ve modified at some point. I’d like a prop that’ll do both ends of the spectrum decently. Short field and a higher cruise speed than the Borer prop gives. I’m seriously leaning towards an electric pitch controlled MT prop STC’d for the 150 hp PA18. The person I spoke with at MT says it’s doable.. but I need more information....set up for floats so maybe the reverse pitch MT?
    Doesn’t Hartzell offer a constant speed composite prop?

How difficult is it to pop the plug out of the crankshaft and install the smaller freeze plug for a hydraulic Governor?

Anyway...waiting for over a month on a weather window to deliver Marv’s Pacer to Anchorage. The weather absolutely sucks. When it’s clear, the temp dew point spread isn’t better than 2 degrees...right at freezing and the wind is howling. When calm it’s froggy.. now that I’m loosing Marv’s Pacer. Got’a get mine done.

Busy building up another diesel generator for the power house...a few days ago finished up an old school John Deere...it’s now ready to install.

New Murphy control panel with all the safeties cept overspeed.

Last edited by mmoyle; 02-05-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post

How thick was the tubing?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh four nine wall, three quarter diameter