Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clipper down

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Clipper down

Look real close at those pictures and you can see EXPERIMENTAL clearly written on the bottom of the wing.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Two thumbs down on droop tips. Especially on a rare airplane like a Clipper. Stop butchering these things!
    63' Colt

Post Thanks / Like

I think the wing extension is what held it up in the trees. More humor

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good catch Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

The 100k includes 2 attempts at installing a austalian rotec radial engine on this plane. After that they decided to go back to a Lyc. It is (was) a beautiful plane. The experimental sign is from the radial mods not the wing tips. All mods approved. Leaving it in the trees for a week while you went to sentimental was dumb.
    Last edited by Frank Green; 06-24-2014 at 11:38 AM.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Jackson said, smiling, and adding that this isn't the first time he's crashed.

And this surprises whom?

Post Thanks / Like

He's been flying for almost 60 years, don't knock the pilot, the engine quit and he landed with out a scratch. Just dumb to leave it there. I have often thought when flying over wooded areas, we have a lot of them here in upstate NY, what the best way to land in trees would be. Somebody told me to go for pine trees as they bend at the top and get stronger as you go down. Any of you AK guys have any experience in tree landings?
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Frank, When you put it like that, I owe the pilot an apology. It's a "good one" if you can walk away from it. Additionally, he is older than I, and was able to climb down out of the tree. That alone is to be admired, and he was healthy enough to compartmentalize and just go on to SJ.
    Come to think of it, the advise my instructor gave me as he closed the door on the 7AC ($6.60 per hour-wet) for my first solo was "If the engine quits find a couple of pine trees, and strip the wings off." (Instruction received 5/17/64)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    Frank, When you put it like that, I owe the pilot an apology. It's a "good one" if you can walk away from it. Additionally, he is older than I, and was able to climb down out of the tree. That alone is to be admired, and he was healthy enough to compartmentalize and just go on to SJ.
    Come to think of it, the advise my instructor gave me as he closed the door on the 7AC ($6.60 per hour-wet) for my first solo was "If the engine quits find a couple of pine trees, and strip the wings off." (Instruction received 5/17/64)
    Yep, what Clayton said! Glad he was relatively unscathed.

Post Thanks / Like

I love this site; believe it or not i took away some life saving information from this accident.(and not the first or last time)
    Not a big tree hugger, but i am now . . . for Pines.