Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spark Plugs

Post Thanks / Like

Default What plugs to use: REM-40E or REM-37BY

Engine is a Lycoming 0-320E2D with high compression pistons rated for 160hp. Are there any issues with using the REM-37BY sparkplugs in this engine? It is my understanding that the plug protrudes deeper into the combustion chamber....is this true? I have also read that the REM-37BY plug "might" give a increase in power over the 40E. Currently I have the REM-40E plugs in place and upon looking at the Champion aerospace catalogue I noticed the REM-37BY part # which made me start to look at what the pros/cons of the two plugs are. Any suggestions? Anyone using the 37BY? Should I stick with the 40E plug? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What plugs to use: REM-40E or REM-37BY

UREM37BY from Tempest hands down - best performance - lower price than Champion and nicer finish. Any Application that the 37BY's are approved for I would highly highly recommend

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely go with the Tempest. I put new Tempests in and noticed on the first start it lit off a whole lot quicker. The Champions I replaced were still in good shape according to Champions literature.
    As 24C said they have nicer nickel finish instead of zinc. Plus you can check them with an ohm meter which Champion says you can't do with theirs.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a good tech description of the difference at the following PDF.
    http://tempestplus.com/Portals/0/PDF...lity062711.pdf

image.jpg
    51-pa22
    smokin.gif
    Last edited by 51-pa22; 09-29-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Any issues with installing these plugs due to how deep the socket has to go?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cook11 View Post
    Any issues with installing these plugs due to how deep the socket has to go?
    None, can't tell a difference on three different spark plug sockets.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

I see the replies are in reference to a 320. What about a 290D2? Will Tempest UREM37BY's be good for that engine also? Lord knows I have had my share of fouling problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Pa22, O290D2 Have been running the BY7's on the bottom jugs for 6 for 7 years to help eliminate fouling on bottom plugs. Never had any fouling with them. Always told the IA each year, long reach on the bottoms, short on the top. After last annual noticed an additional 50 to 75 rpm drop on one mag when cold run but then a 25rpm difference after a short warm up flight. Bought 4 new BY7's to replace the short plugs and found the IA had 2 2BY7's on the bottom left side and 2 BY7's on the top right side. Replaced the short plugs with BY7's. Instant cold weather start up, slight difference in mag drop on cold engine, 10 to 15 rpm, and runs very nice. My cab is set on the rich side, I lean for peak at start up and all low rpm operation. On mag run up for take off, lean for peak and then slightly rich for takeoff. Never had a plug problem in the 300 hours of owning it.

Bob N2177A

Post Thanks / Like

If you scroll down to page 8 on that link in post #4 above it shows it's approved for everything except the 290D & D2

Now if you scroll down to page 14 here, there is a small note ( *) at the bottom that says you can use 37BY's on the 290 D & D2 if you are encountering lead fouling
    http://www.aircraftsupply.com/pdf-fi...tion-Guide.pdf

So Champion plugs yes....Tempest no.......???? doesn't make sense to me...
    Last edited by Pacerfgoe; 01-13-2015 at 04:45 PM.