Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How to fix exhaust leaks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to fix exhaust leaks?

The tool from AC worked great. We smoothed off the exhaust cylinder head and put some no blows back on. Seems to be holding fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I kno little about aircraft except my experience on the flight line on Edwards AFB.
    Check this out. Been working on getting this product on the market.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1JYhsl0Pq4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0eHvcnLqAo
    or search "C Flange Bracket"
    If u kno flanges, plz comment. Thx!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We don't have flanged like that on Piper exhaust systems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    You might call Larry Dawley Dawley Aviation. was working with the FAA to make one of his overhauled mufflers a alternate means compliance to the AD too away with the reoccurring inspection due to the improvements to material and design.
    Any idea if this ever came to be? We had to take our muffler out because one of the scat tube flanges had come lose on the shroud and then found that the flame tube has come apart inside our muffler. One thing always leads to another....

Sounds like the overall consensus is to send it off to Dawley to be rebuilt. I will call Monday but just wondering if anyone knows about if the AD goes away and/or about how much I'm looking at for the repair?

Looking at the cost of new from AS around $450, I'm assuming rebuild to be about $300 or so. What kind of down time?

muffler.jpg
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    Any idea if this ever came to be? We had to take our muffler out because one of the scat tube flanges had come lose on the shroud and then found that the flame tube has come apart inside our muffler. One thing always leads to another....

Sounds like the overall consensus is to send it off to Dawley to be rebuilt. I will call Monday but just wondering if anyone knows about if the AD goes away and/or about how much I'm looking at for the repair?

Looking at the cost of new from AS around $450, I'm assuming rebuild to be about $300 or so. What kind of down time?

muffler.jpg
    I just got back a set of IO-320 exhaust repaired by them today, and it was sent off last Tuesday, the 29th. 3 days in transit each way doesn’t leave much turnaround time. This set was pretty ugly and I thought the repair cost was very respectable for quality work. This is the second set I ‘ve sent in the past year, both have been the same scenario.

However, I don’t know anything about the TriPacer muffler AD alternative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post

muffler.jpg
    I haven't heard.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got off of the phone with Curt @ Dawley. $315 max on the muffler rebuild. They take it completely apart, clean it and inspect. At that point anything needing replaced is replaced. Not sure how the 'max' will figure into our unit rebuild but based on their reputation here, that seems like a fair price either way. Quoted a 1 week turn around.

Unfortunately, he said that he's not made any progress on making his rebuild an alternate means of AD compliance yet. I guess the wheels of the FAA turn slowly.
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

We've had the muffler back for a while but just not had the time to reinstall it. It looks very good -never knew the insides SHOULD have looked like that. Can't wait to hear it fire up.

The new muffler flanges do not have the holes drilled for the locator pins on the clamps. Newbie question here but should we try and use the existing/original hole in the inner pipe or just drill a new hole thru both in a new spot? Just thought trying to locate the hole in the inner pipe would be a PIA. Any tricks/tips/suggestions that could keep me from over-thinking this.
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

What is Dawley doing to the mufflers that is special? I can't see replacing bad parts with like or similar items having any effect on the AD.

You can try to locate the holes using masking tape to transfer the hole location. Pretty accurate marks can be made that way if you take your time.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 05-15-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    What is Dawley doing to the mufflers that is special? I can't see replacing bad parts with like or similar items having any effect on the AD.

You can try to locate the holes using masking tape to transfer the hole location. Pretty accurate marks can be made that way if you take your time.
    Here is a thread with some pictures of improvements Dawley is doing to the muffler for our Short Wings. There is no option for an AD free muffler on our airplanes unless you have a Pacer and get a field approval for the Sutton system.
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...st-System-Over