Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Potential Colt Restoration - HELP!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Potential Colt Restoration - HELP!

OK, where do I start?

I'm new here - no experience, but a lot of enthusiasm. I'm hoping some kind-hearted members will take pity on me and my affliction and hold my hand for some of my proposed journey.

The story so far. Back in '73 a local PA22-108 had a mishap at a rural airfield. It was "withdrawn from use" and disappeared. It has become my barn-find if I want it (and the price is right). From what I've seen it mostly there, albeit in a disassembled state - sans engine, prop, windscreen, and some instruments. Evidently the damage that resulted in being withdrawn from use has been repaired, quite some years ago I assume. The entire airframe has been recovered - fuselage, wings, stabilizers, elevators, rudder, ailerons and flaps. Yes, flaps(!) No paperwork certifying the repairs, covering, and any STC for the flaps/wings is available.

I'll leave it there for now. Comments please? Observations, warnings, advice, suggestions etc all welcome.

Thanks in advance

J

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Potential Colt Restoration - HELP!

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the site. You will get lots of help here.
    I would have thought the very first thing you need to do is speak to your local Airwortiness Authority to find out what they want to see, paperwork-wise.
    I am not familiar with NZ rules etc. but here in the UK you can either have your aircraft on a normal airworthiness certificate or on a Permit to Fly (a simplistic explanation).
    I would be concerned about the flaps - a Colt doesn't have flaps!
    Paperwork could be your biggest hurdle irrespective of the fabric and airframe condition etc.
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tony, thanks for your observations. Yes, I thought exactly the same thing re flaps as soon as I saw the wings. Are Tripacer/Colt wings interchangeable? They are both PA-22 type certificate, yeah?
    Last edited by Johnny Falcon; 03-09-2018 at 03:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would talk to your FAA/CAA. The wings are interchangable mechanically except for the control of the flaps but paperwork is a different issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Dig up as much information as you can. With out logs your paperwork could be overwhelming.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve and Stephen! I intend to get as much information as possible. Apologies for the out-of-focus image. Note the flap handle in situ. It seems efforts were well along the way for this change to be incorporated into the rebuild.
    20180307_114322.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Might be easiest to get Tri-Pacer paperwork.