Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which oil filter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which oil filter

I am going to be doing my first oil change on my clipper this month. The stc for my Casper labs adaptor states to use a champion ch48108-1 or ch48109-1. The ch48109-1 is a half inch longer, or so it states. I am just curious which size is better. I was going to go with the 48108-1 just to be sure that it fits. I am just curious what filter size y'all are using out there on clipper/pacer with o-235.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which oil filter

I went with the Tempest AA48108-2. The taller filter has more media (460 sq in as opposed to 311 sq in for the short ones) but I change my oil and filter every 25 hours so I don't really need the extra media.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll do the 25 hours as well if I am not flying frequently, (or 4 months whatever comes first). However, if I am flying a lot in a short period of time I will go up to 50. I have had good luck with that schedule anyways.

Thanks for for the input Harold. I am glad to hear that the taller one fits, since it does, I will use it too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruinpilot View Post
    I'll do the 25 hours as well if I am not flying frequently, (or 4 months whatever comes first). However, if I am flying a lot in a short period of time I will go up to 50. I have had good luck with that schedule anyways.

Thanks for for the input Harold. I am glad to hear that the taller one fits, since it does, I will use it too!

I am going to change the oil in my clipper for the first time this weekend.. but don't have the adapter for spin on / off filter.. what filter do I need? can't see it without pulling the cowling off and haven't done that yet. Bruinpilot, have you did and oil change without the adatpter? Is it a tough job? Thanks

O-235 C1
    Last edited by Semper Fi; 12-04-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Casper labs adaptor. I'm not sure how to do it without it...

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have an oil filter adapter, you will have an oil screen instead. The oil screen is removed, washed, and reused so there is no filter to buy. You will however need to buy a new gasket to reinstall the oil screen. I suggest that you have someone who has done it before demonstrate how it is done. There are a few tricks to learn so that you don't break the oil temperature probe or get oil all over the engine and muffler.

Post Thanks / Like

Or break one of the ears on the cast iron screen housing.

Post Thanks / Like

don't forget to cut open your filter to see if there are any nasty shineees.....

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone, I'm going to have the local mechanic help me with the oil change tomorrow, and next change going to install the adapter I think

Post Thanks / Like

If you are using the spin on oil filter, how often are you changing the oil?