Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Powder coating fuselage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Powder coating fuselage

Fuselage beadblasted, epoxy primed and top coated with a catalyzed polyurethane 13 years ago. Not a spec of rust anywhere except on the engine mount which was done by an industrial powder coater that bead blasted it, ran it thru a five stage wash process including a phosphate wash and powder coated it. Started seeing small rust specs about three years later.
    I also had many small parts such as pulley brackets powder coated. That coating promptly failed around the edges.
    Proper preparation and paint works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the guys that powder coat Alaska Airframes parts and fuselages do mine when I did the tailwheel conversion last year. Figured if they where getting good, satisfactory results then it should work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Fuselage beadblasted, epoxy primed and top coated with a catalyzed polyurethane 13 years ago. Not a spec of rust anywhere except on the engine mount which was done by an industrial powder coater that bead blasted it, ran it thru a five stage wash process including a phosphate wash and powder coated it. Started seeing small rust specs about three years later.
    I also had many small parts such as pulley brackets powder coated. That coating promptly failed around the edges.
    Proper preparation and paint works for me.
    I certainly don't have knowledge or data to add to this discussion. But, it seems that using the method that Gilbert described would allow for repairs should they become necessary. If the fuselage is powder coated, can you apply an epoxy primer over powder coating to finish a repair?

Post Thanks / Like

You can, just prep it like you would any painted surface. Scotchbrite disc to sand off powdercoat around repair, the scuff sand the powdercoat however far out you plan on painting over it. Sadly I had to do this on mine as a hole just above the tailbrace wires was found a week after getting home with the powdercoated fuselage. Cut off tailbrace, patched hole, fabbed and installed new tailbrace mount and epoxy primed and painted. Only way to tell there was a repair is the runs from me hogging the paint on and tape lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, strange how these holes keep appearing.....

My Vagabond airframe has been media blasted and is now primed with Randolph white primer (W224.
    Will be topcoated this Friday with Ranthane.
    My undercarriage legs have also been media blasted but have been powdercoated.
    Recommendations for further painting (other than Mk 2 liquid topcoat I am using on cowlings etc.)?
    Thanks
    TonyN