Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Thread: Drivers License vs 3d Class

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Drivers License vs 3d Class

Ok, so my family doc/ AME 's office calls me and tells me that he no longer does FAA exams. I had one scheduled , so I told her that's ok because the FAA no longer requires that for a 3rd class medical. I just need a "comprehensive medical exam" to fulfill their requirement for my license. My question is just EXACTLY what does he have to sign or fill out? As she states he doesn't " ....do any of the FAA paperwork anymore ". Is there a special document that a doc uses and what does he have to sign? And if there is, where can I get it? I have to get all my "ducks in a row" before I see him In a few weeks for my DOT ( CDL ) physical. I'm kinda confused as to exactly what I need and what needs to be done/ signed.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

The forms are in committee discussion awaiting final approval. They aren't expected to change much from the earlier drafts they've released.

Post Thanks / Like

In a nutshell, your doctor will have to fill out the (still unavailble) form and sign it. You will need to keep the form with your logbook. You also have to take an online course (I'm not sure if it is available yet or not)

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots...medical-reform

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Took and passed the online basic med course, and downloaded all the forms and filled out what I had to. Have to see the doc today for some DOT / CDL blood work -- basically a routine "diabetic" check and I'm going to present him with the basic med exam checklist. I am hoping that since it is really no more than a "high school athletic physical" -- as the AOPA puts it-- he will do it for me even though he ".... Stopped doing any FAA physicals" , per his office mgr. We shall see.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

My regular family physician recently passed, so I've almost committed to another. When I gave him a copy of the draft forms a couple of weeks ago I mentioned it's not much different than a CDL, Commercial Drivers License physical. He said they used to do those but the requirements for those over time just became too restrictive for their office, now they don't do them. He'll talk over the FAAs latest with his partners and they'll make a determination whether to get involved or not. I told him when I get the real forms I'll make another appointment there. He did seem to like that they didn't need to get involved with the FAA, just slip the completed paperwork in my logbook. Another project for tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim

In looking over the items on the doc's exam sheet it appears to be a really basic exam. I received my CDL exam from a company appointed physician, pretty basic as well.The kicker was my hgbA1c was too elevated for his liking, so he told me to see my PCP and " get treatment " , whatever that is, before he would ok me to drive.
    It just so happened, at that time I was just getting over a very nasty case of persistent bronchitis that hung on for almost a month. When one becomes sick, one's blood sugar becomes elevated as mine had apparently done. Now , over the past 4 weeks or so mine have dropped to nearly normal for someone my age as that bronchitis is now history.
    Hopefully my doc won't hesitate to fill out my paperwork.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again,

.......Hopefully my doc won't hesitate to fill out my paperwork.

I guess a lot of us will be finding out real soon. Good luck with yours!

Post Thanks / Like

Good news is my doc will be happy to fill out the paperwork, mostly because he is intimately familiar with my medical history and is my former AME, but I have to wait until after May 1st.
    Bad news is that my hgbA1C is not low enough , yet, for the CDL. He says " It will take a few more weeks but it will come down, I am certain of it."
    Good luck with yours as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thankfully I have a year and a half left on my class 3. This will sort itself out.

Hopefully I wont be able to hide my own Easter eggs by then.