Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivers License vs 3d Class

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Drivers License vs 3d Class

Peer pressure. PEER PRESSURE! I couldn't take it! I've sent my response using the link Clayton provided (and it was horribly quick and easy).
    Todd Loes -- Waterloo, IA
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)

Post Thanks / Like

Clayton,
    I sent mine just didn't post that I did.
    Probably a big waste of time. We/EAA have been trying to do this for 25-30 years or so. I don't believe it will ever happen. Why because of that big word that scares the crap out of everyone SAFTY. When that word is spoken NOBODY will speak out against it. Think about it. The so called death plane crashes into the school playground and kills a kid. The Media would have a field day with the pilot not having a FAA CERTIFIED medical. So it would all go back to WHO said it was OK to not need one. Nobody in this day and time will stick their neck out. It's all about getting the vote and being Political Correct
    I have seen the results of that damn word in the Engineering and Construction business in recent years. It has cost us the buyer of products BILLIONS.

Just for the record I'm, along with many others, need it to pass. Not holding my breath. It was supposed to happen last year.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

My personal feeling on the whole matter is that a medical certificate should not be needed for solo flight on any type of airplane. It was widely accepted that a "true ultralight" could be flown not only without a medical certificate but also without a pilot license. That seemed a little absurd to me that no training was required but I was always OK with the "you can only hurt yourself" aspect of it.

The light sport category opened the door a bit farther by allowing a passenger. I think that could be an issue for some people. To me that second seat could be used by a spouse or one's own children without a medical certificate but when at a Young Eagles rally, I think the "parent who brought a child out for an airplane ride" is hoping that the pilot has never had unexplained seizures, heart attack or stroke.

I'm not sure where the line needs to be placed on this topic. But I'm firmly in the "solo - no certificate" camp (regardless of the size of the plane).
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)

Post Thanks / Like

Well Todd,
    One of these days you will change your mind. That is if you want to keep flying. Does that medical say YOU will not have a heart attack and die tomorrow??????
    Last edited by wyandot jim; 02-03-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wyandot jim View Post
    Well Todd,
    One of these days you will change your mind. That is if you want to keep flying. Does that medical say YOU will not have a heart attack and die tomorrow??????
    Jim:

I'm not saying that I'm against the proposal. I'm saying that the argument to eliminate the medical requirment is "strongest" for solo flight and "gets a little weaker" when there are more passengers on board, especially when the passenger is a minor and not represented on the flight by his/her guardian.

So I would say that the "solo" aspect should be a no-brainer for all 535 members of the house and senate. If 51% of them are willing to open the door a little further, that is not only OK with me but largely celebrated too. But I just don't know how far that door should be opened.

I'll ask some very hypothetical questions here, just for the purposes of illustrating the "far end of the arguement":
    Are you picky about who your grandkids fly with?
    Do you "size up the pilot" for "skills" or "health"?

If you say "yes" to either of these, you are also somewhat indicating that some amount of "policing" is needed to protect the "innocent".

I'm hoping that I will know when to stop flying and that I won't need a medical examiner to tell me when or why. And for that reason, I support reform for everyone. But I believe that the 535 elected representatives will use the "far end of the arguement" to decide how much reform they will stand behind.

Best regards,

Todd
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)

Post Thanks / Like

Todd,
    Years ago before I became a pro pilot (for money), I told my AME that I was glad at least I had a doc look me over periodically. He said "Son (I was lot younger), you could die on my door steps. I have just certified you were ok when I gave you that piece of paper."
    After reflection, I think he was right. In fact, I wonder if physicals may keep pilots from seeking care for fear there will be a record.

"The Far End of the Argument" The 535 care about votes. Have you checked the state of the unions? They all pander to their donor base.

Can we look at the "solo" limit? If a B-737 is parked on the ramp, I can start it, taxi it, T/O, fly, land it and taxi back, but I won't be doing that. The problem is it would make a big hole, if not landed. There has to be limits on size.

Todd, thank goodness most Americans are rule followers, and I trust most pilots to "self police". There is peer pressure too.
    Last edited by Clayton Harper; 02-03-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Clayton: Both of your comments are right-on. But neither of them will make those 535 legislators "blow the door wide open". That's really all I was trying to say...Congress will use "an extreme case" to illustrate why "boundaries are needed".

You'd think by now that everyone would know to "not drink and drive". But yet there are some who just don't get it. And if there are "those people" on the roads, there will be "those people" in the air. Lets call them the "one percenters". Well, those one percenters are going to define the boundary of the ruling.

I ride my bike to work every day, 5 miles each way, regardless of season (it was -5F on the ride this morning). I really have no fear of riding in that weather because I dress well, ride on "lightly used roads", and when I get passed by a car, I almost always recognize it (same cars pass me every day). But my biggest fear while riding is getting whacked from behind while someone was drifting around "reading a text message". That's off topic by some amount but it scares the crap out of me even more than the drunk drivers. As much as I like to believe that I'm in control, my fate is always in the hands of the worst driver behind me.

Todd
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

.....Do you "size up the pilot" for "skills" or "health"?

Part of that is determined during a flight review. There will always be drivers/flyers that shouldn't be doing what they are. There are people that drive without insurance, and those that'll fly without a medical. Probably you've met a few that you wouldn't fly with, drinkers come to mind for me. Holding an FAA medical doesn't guarantee much, if anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Todd, I edit my post while you were responding. Please edit your if you need to in reply.

We called them 2%s a Texas A&M. That a dimmer view I know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    We called them 2%s a Texas A&M. That a dimmer view I know.
    Well, everything IS bigger in Texas.
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)