Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New to me colt

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to me colt

Hello first time here 1st plane also, need a little help on repairing paint where fabric is showing. it's a 1961 colt i traded a Harley for it from a older man who lost his medical. I have log books from day one it runs good but needs a annual just wanting to get it looking better before that day it's been under a open hanger and is showing its age the pain has peeled off in a few spots showing fabric not sure what to do any help would be much help. Not sure what kind of paint is on it thank you for any help
    Last edited by Kenneth; 02-04-2015 at 01:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New to me colt

Welcome to Short wing pipers.org and congratulations on your new colt.

The folks on here are a wealth of information and knowledge. I believe they will need a little more info to help you. Is it cotton or dacron? dope or paint? Those things will determine how you go about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome Kenneth. There should be an FAA Form 337 on the last recover. Look at that and it will tell you what process was used. If it is Ceconite and Randolph butyrate here is a thread on repairing it. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...epair-Solution

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kenneth, Congrats on your new bird. When you come back to inform us of the fabric type and paint/ dope, upload a few pictures too! Moe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Hello first time here 1st plane also, need a little help on repairing paint where fabric is showing. it's a 1961 colt i traded a Harley for it from a older man who lost his medical. I have log books from day one it runs good but needs a annual just wanting to get it looking better before that day it's been under a open hanger and is showing its age the pain has peeled off in a few spots showing fabric not sure what to do any help would be much help. Not sure what kind of paint is on it thank you for any help

Oh Dude, you are way in over your head, you should park that beast at my airport and let me show you how to fly it......I will pay for the gas.....LOL

Lloyd

Post Thanks / Like

Nice trade, Kenneth! The Colt is a very capable plane, and you will enjoy it. As has been previously stated, post some photos, and give us more info on the plane when you can get in the logs. Welcome to SWPO!
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kenneth,
    Congratulations on your new plane and welcome to the group.
    In addition to the technical info and photos of the plane, tell us about yourself, are you a student pilot or do you already hold a private pilot certificate, how long have you been flying, in what types of planes and where have you traveled.
    Also what kind of mechanical experience you have, some folks can be helped with common simple repairs and upgrades (working closely with mechanic of course) and some should be prepared to exercise their checkbook a little more to ensure the work by the mechanic.
    Getting to know about you helps us give the best advice for you.
    In any case, Spring is around the corner, get that Colt ready for some fun flying!

GG in Oregon
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Kenneth,
    I keep my Colt at Siler City (KSCR). I would be glad to help you any way I can. Getting ready to start my owner assisted annual. I work slow but cheap. My IA is a good tube and fabric guy. Let me know if you want to get together.
    Bill