Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-made Vs homemade carpet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pre-made Vs homemade carpet.

The old carpet probably burned because the stuff it was treated with has evaporated out over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

When I did my tri I bought the carpet from Aitex and made my own.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    When I did my tri I bought the carpet from Aitex and made my own.
    I placed an order with them yesterday for a couple of yards. I hope the carpet is treated. Their website specifically states products sold by the yard have no certification.

Post Thanks / Like

Vantage plane plastics sells by the yard and comes with burn certs. Also good selection of colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered the airtex premade. Seemed like less of a hassle. Now I just need to choose seatbelts.

Post Thanks / Like

Restarting an old thread....
    My PA22 carpets are really nasty, so time for something new. With many financial obligations rearing their heads, I would like a more affordable solution than Airtex if possible.
    I'm considering some of the above ideas, specifically NAPA automobile carpeting cut to size and secured with velcro strips.
    I think this is the stuff Mark (mmoyle) mentioned in a much earlier comment: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_8131000?ref=image
    The product info says made from 100% recycled carpet so could be nylon, wool, polyethylene, Persian silk, who knows?
    But I thought applying commercial flame retardant might be satisfactory to pass the vertical burn test, I found many products on Amazon etc, this is typical:
    https://masterfx.com/product/master-...ire-retardant/
    Have any of you folks had experience with this kind of user-applied fire retardant?

I think my IA would approve it if it met the CAR 3 requirements. He flies a 1929 Travel-Air biplane and has owned & restored several CAR 3 planes, he is hip to the CAR 3 rules vs FARs, and a practical fellow.

Our pals at the "other" Shortwing group had a good discussion on this a while back:
    https://forum.shortwingpiperclub.org...nd-regulations

I will inquire with the manufactures of the carpet product about the actual material and burn resistance, and the fire retardant manufacturers, to see what flammability specs they meet.
    Practical comments are appreciated.

Cheers,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I have Airtex carpet but must say I'd like to get rid of it. Its always dirty and bunches up hear and there when climbing in or out.
    I really like the vinyl flooring Vantage Plastics sells, but thats spendy too. Not too long ago i saw a close up pic on this forum of someone's vinyl flooring. Its the same vinyl that the big box stores, and others carry. Google: dime size coin grip vinyl floor. Of course i dont know the legality or send it to have tested?61pmuMCUGLL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago an interior guy I met showed me how he made a quick carpet for a King Aire application.
    First he used wool as it is an approved material.
    Then he cut the carpet to size
    next he took an electric shear like a heavy duty dog grooming shear and carefully beveled the edges of the carpet.
    he used a ribbon of matching fabric or vinyl tape and lined it up with the finish side against the carpet and the edges aligned. After that he used a common stapler to staple all along the straight line he had marked on the back of the finish tape, overlapping actually replacing what would otherwise be stitching.
    After that he cut relief "VEES" at the corners and using contact cement on the back of the carpet and finish tape (where it was exposed after the fold). After waiting the required time for the contact cement to get ready he folder the finish tape over making a very nice beveled edge carper with a nice bevel coming out of the edge tape. It looked factory and he did the deed (with experience) in less than an hour.
    The shears gave the edge that custom look in a deep pile carpet and left enough fluff behind the tape to look nice and the staples left a nice straight line on the carpet when the edge tape was folded over.
    Put a placard in the plane NO SMOKING" and your choice of material widens greatly.
    All automotive carpets and interior fabrics must meet the flammability requirement of FMVSS 302 (USA), SAE J369 and ISO 3795. For general applications, a burn rate of no more than 100mm per minute is acceptable, although some vehicle manufacturers have tightened requirements to stipulate slower burn rates.
    Test samples must meet the following requirements:

The standard sample size is 102-mm x 356-mm (approximately 4-in. x 14-in.).
    If the available width is less than 102 mm, the maximum available width should be used.
    If the available length is less than 356 mm, multiple pieces should be provided so when laid back-to-back they reach 356 mm.
    The thickness is that of the single or composite material used in the vehicle, unless the material's thickness exceeds 13 mm, in which case the sample is cut down to 13 mm total, measured from the surface of the sample which would be closest to the occupant compartment air space.
    5 samples must be tested.
    If the material could react differently depending which direction it is cut, it must be tested in two directions. For example, woven materials (e.g. carpet, fabric, etc.) must be tested with 5 samples cut up the roll and 5 samples cut across the roll.
    If the material does adhere to other materials at every point of contact, it must be tested as a composite build-up with those other materials.
    If the material does not adhere to other materials at every point of contact, it must be tested separately.
    When it is not possible to obtain a flat sample because of surface curvature, the sample is cut to not more than 13 mm in thickness at any point.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a carpet from SCS and am very happy. They are very thorough in the fit process. They cnc cut paper templates for you to fit and adjust before cutting your carpet. I believe it was $318 for complete Cherokee carpet. If you want to go the self made auto carpet route, send samples to Skandia for burn test and get a certificate. Last time I did it, it was $45, but that was a couple of years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueshortwing View Post
    Just got a carpet from SCS and am very happy. They are very thorough in the fit process. They cnc cut paper templates for you to fit and adjust before cutting your carpet. I believe it was $318 for complete Cherokee carpet. If you want to go the self made auto carpet route, send samples to Skandia for burn test and get a certificate. Last time I did it, it was $45, but that was a couple of years ago.
    SCS=southern carpet supply, serious carpet suppliers, Southern California supply, Sac’s custom services...