Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 160-180 hp Pacer on Floats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 160-180 hp Pacer on Floats

On wheel gear, 800 on nose with airglass fork and 850 on mains.

I'll admit its past time to get her back on the scales.

Rocket

W&B wheela.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies if asked already, but:

Can a narrow deck 150hp O-320 be converted to 160hp?

and, as far as approved data for converting a land to a seaplane, is it simply a matter of referring to a Piper drawing?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Note sure about the 150 to 160 hoops one has to go through, I've heard of both certified and bush modifications

The float aproval is part of the TCDS and some aircraft left the factory as Pa22160S models... S is for seaplane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Iriarte View Post
    Apologies if asked already, but:

Can a narrow deck 150hp O-320 be converted to 160hp?

and, as far as approved data for converting a land to a seaplane, is it simply a matter of referring to a Piper drawing?

Chris
    Yes you can convert the o320 narrow deck 150 to a 160 hp. gonna take come bucks $$$$ mabe some mucho dinero too. have to send the case out to get longer case bolts and also find the cylinder hold down plates. it is cheaper to just find a wide deck usually and set it up as a 160 hp. Or if you get lucky find a narrow deck 160. We have 2 narrow deck 160's and a wide deck 160. all flying on planes.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a rough idea on the expense of putting a 1955 160 pacer on floats? I've searched a number of threads on here and found some great stuff and the know that the variables are numerous and shop rates and the price of floats is pretty variable as well. I'm know you're better off finding one floated already, but the plane I've been researching for purchase has pretty much every modification I'm looking for except the floats. Maybe all of that isn't worth the bother of conversion.

Post Thanks / Like

I can do a Beaver faster then my Tripacer :/Have to pull the spinner, prop, nose bowl, cawl, aft plugs, aft oil drain lines, aft intake tubes, exhaust outlet support rod, pull the two nose steering rods, pull the whole nose gear assembly. This is just the firewall forward and I've only done it about 10 times in as many years, well double that to put her back on wheels.
    The first time takes some doing. Mine had been on floats in years past so there were holes in places for say the bolt on fittings and the forward hanger for the ventral was still installed.
    You really have to want it! It took me a few years to gather up all the pieces. It wasn't cheap. But yes, it was worth it.

Have to pull the main gear and bungies.
    Put the springs on the rudder pedals so they don't flop flat on the floor. Water rudder retract tube and hook on panel.
    Hay, you said pacer or did you mean Tri pacer? Ha ha haaa.

Rocket

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    I can do a Beaver faster then my Tripacer :/Have to pull the spinner, prop, nose bowl, cawl, aft plugs, aft oil drain lines, aft intake tubes, exhaust outlet support rod, pull the two nose steering rods, pull the whole nose gear assembly. This is just the firewall forward and I've only done it about 10 times in as many years, well double that to put her back on wheels.
    The first time takes some doing. Mine had been on floats in years past so there were holes in places for say the bolt on fittings and the forward hanger for the ventral was still installed.
    You really have to want it! It took me a few years to gather up all the pieces. It wasn't cheap. But yes, it was worth it.

Have to pull the main gear and bungies.
    Put the springs on the rudder pedals so they don't flop flat on the floor. Water rudder retract tube and hook on panel.
    Hay, you said pacer or did you mean Tri pacer? Ha ha haaa.

Rocket
    Exactly like Rocket said, this is why I have one Pa 22 dedicated to Floats Only. To much pain. Not nearly as bad with a Pacer but still Painful. For cost I would estimate around 15k

Jared

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piperrocks2013 View Post
    Exactly like Rocket said, this is why I have one Pa 22 dedicated to Floats Only. To much pain. Not nearly as bad with a Pacer but still Painful. For cost I would estimate around 15k

Jared
    That's about what I figured for price of conversion if I'm correct in assuming that number includes the price floats?

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by wmvosburgh View Post
    That's about what I figured for price of conversion if I'm correct in assuming that number includes the price floats?
    Yes but I wasn't including labour, do all my own work. I seen set of floats good shape with Pa22 fittings go for 12k Canadian. You still need a borer prop and a sea fin

jared