Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice requested: Need to "upgrade" comm radio

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice requested: Need to "upgrade" comm radio

I have an old (OLD) comm radio in my Pacer. It has a lot of noise and isn't very user-friendly. I'm looking to purchase a used, but newer comm radio as a replacement.

What is (relatively) affordable and simple? Only feature I really need is flip-flop of some sort.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice requested: Need to "upgrade" comm radio

I have a King KY 97A which has 5 Watts of transmit power, that works well, is simple and basic to use with the flip-flop and an LCD display. I've been wanting to swap it out for the King KY 197A which has 10 W of transmit power, and in my opinion a much better display. I recently bought a Garmin GNC 300 XL NavCom off eBay at Clayton's recommendation. I have not completed installation or tested it yet, but will soon.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a thread on this a while back. Several people including myself have the VAL-760 and like them pretty well. They are simple and basic.

Post Thanks / Like

Like my Garmin SL-40 and its ability to monitor a second frequency.

Post Thanks / Like

Several people including myself have the VAL-760 and like them pretty well.
    Nice... that is what I have in the airplane currently. My only complaint is I get a lot of static/noise in the background. Transmits fine, and I can hear just fine when I'm receiving, but otherwise it's noisy. Maybe there's something to resolve there instead of an all-out replacement...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kchansen View Post
    Nice... that is what I have in the airplane currently. My only complaint is I get a lot of static/noise in the background. Transmits fine, and I can hear just fine when I'm receiving, but otherwise it's noisy. Maybe there's something to resolve there instead of an all-out replacement...
    The Garmin SL 40 is largely a pretty good radio. You really shouldn't drive a stake in it's heart without some inspection of your plane for the standard potential noise generators. Bad antenna connection, loose wiring, magnetos, generator, on and on. Truthfully your problem kind of sounds like you have an open squelch issue. You don't have adjustable squelch on that radio so it has to go to a shop for resetting but it is a relatively easy fix. I have used North Texas Avionics several times and find they are quite competent and reasonable for the older radios. As is the case with responding to questions like you pose, there is the risk that you haven't described everything and there may be a snake in the grass somewhere that would change my suggestion, but with a new (used)radio you are taking your chances by buying a radio that someone else didn't want any more. Give NTA a call, they have a web page, see what sending the radio to them for potential repair would cost. You might be surprised at their quote as opposed to being shocked by hearing the total cost of installation of another radio.

Post Thanks / Like

Information on receiver squelch here, page 12.
    http://11hc.44rf.com/manuals/avionic...all_Manual.pdf
    Last edited by 59pacer; 08-08-2017 at 01:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Kchasen,

Everyone in UK is having to replace their perfectly serviceable comm radios for new equipment.
    This is due to the new European 8.33 KHz channel spacing bandwidth requirement which comes into effect the end of this year.
    I sold my Becker AR3201 radio, 100%y operational, to someone in US a few months ago for $400...

I can ask a few folks if you want to go down that route.
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

You can slide the Val part way out of the rack after using a 5/32 Allen wrench to back out the locking screw. The squelch adjustment is on top of the case and is clearly labeled. Make small adjustments and after each slide it back in the rack and check the results. After the final adjustment tighten the lock.

Post Thanks / Like

My hangar neighbor has a (looks to me almost brand new) VAL 760. $400 plus shipping. I think he still has it.