Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sky-Tec on a PA 22

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sky-Tec on a PA 22

My Tri Pacer had a new Hartzell E-Drive installed in Dec 2016 and it failed just short of one year later while still in the warranty period. However, Hartzell only covers the part and not the labor cost to replace. I chose Hartzell for all the reasons noted above. Still have the old Delco and am hanging on to it just in case the Hartzell fails again but after warranty expires. IMG_1543802452.800784.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I'll echo Steve's comment, as far as I can tell from the logbooks my SkyTec 122NL has been on the aircraft since 2004. Fingers crossed, knock on wood I'm not jinxing myself, it has been flawless.

Jim
    IMG_2581.jpg
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Love that cool looking oil cooler mount Jim.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    So, I'm looking to buy a B and C starter or, an E-drive Hartzell. Yeah, disregarding Steve's input this time because the total cost and RELIABILITY - life span - is really important to me. Not having to redo the power cable length is a couple hundred bux for the Hartzell, too, and there's your difference in that cost. Additionally, I don't have to do some magic Steve oil cooler mount mod either. The B and C is attractive because it's light and reliable as is the Hartzell, as opposed to everything I've read on the lifespan of Sky-Tec's. Again, a couple hundred bucks cheaper purchase price is really not an incentive for me if the reliability isn't there. My stock and original starter is still doing the job, but 10 pounds less up there and an little more cranking power would be nice. Hartzell and B and C appear to OWN the reliability label. I'm choosing soon, so any comments appreciated, as always.
    Thx,
    Subsonic
    FWIW, I bought the Sky-Tec 122-NL, which is now sold by Hartzell Subsonic, for our Pacer. I'm happy with it so far. I was not concerned about the 10# of weight savings, but since I installed a new nose bowl I didn't want the hole required by the E drive stock starter. I do believe that Lycoming now uses the Hartzell/Sky-Tec
    I made a cable extension the same as the one from ACS.

Now I have heard from some of the CubCrafter folks that some of their Sky-Tec/Hartzell starters will not work when they get hot. Once they cool down they are OK.
    Steve you could chat with Mike to learn more if you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wyandot jim View Post

Now I have heard from some of the CubCrafter folks that some of their Sky-Tec/Hartzell starters will not work when they get hot. Once they cool down they are OK.
    Steve you could chat with Mike to learn more if you want.
    Those are those super light weight LSA starters and they are trying to turn that high compressioned stroked O-340. I maintain a couple of Carbon Cubs and have dealt with that as well.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Jim Hann;113092]I'll echo Steve's comment, as far as I can tell from the logbooks my SkyTec 122NL has been on the aircraft since 2004. Fingers crossed, knock on wood I'm not jinxing myself, it has been flawless.

Jim, if you don't mind me asking, approximately how many hours would be on the your engine since that starter was installed? I probably lumped some of the negative things I'd heard about the lightweight starters in with this NL version - that appears to have good reviews.
    Thanks,
    Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Dad's LS/PM has about 1800 hours on a 150 now 160 hp O-320 with no issues at all.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Subsonic;113112]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    I'll echo Steve's comment, as far as I can tell from the logbooks my SkyTec 122NL has been on the aircraft since 2004. Fingers crossed, knock on wood I'm not jinxing myself, it has been flawless.

Jim, if you don't mind me asking, approximately how many hours would be on the your engine since that starter was installed? I probably lumped some of the negative things I'd heard about the lightweight starters in with this NL version - that appears to have good reviews.
    Thanks,
    Subsonic
    Subsonic,
    Our Pacer is probably not a good representation of this starter. You should go by the starts not the total time in the log book. Most all of our flights are real short so we have quite a few starts on ours.
    Steve's Dad is a better real world representation of this fine starter. IMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sky-Tec on a PA 22

[QUOTE=Subsonic;113112]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post

Thanks,
    Subsonic
    The starter was put on the engine in 2004, it only had 180+/- SMOH when I bought it. Probably about 330 SMOH now. Since I got it back together in 2015 it probably has 275-300 starts on it, no clue what it had before I came into ownership. I don’t keep a good record of starts, I’m basing it on the type of flying I do, Young Eagles, airport hopping, etc. since I have about 235 “flights” on it (a day of hopping YEs is one flight) plus maintenance run ups, etc. would put it in that range.

I agree with the comment about Gilbert’s Clipper, that airplane doesn’t rest much at all!

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Last edited by Jim Hann; 12-04-2018 at 12:24 AM.
    Lifetime EAA member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfgoe View Post
    Love that cool looking oil cooler mount Jim.....
    It was out getting the full spa treatment. You know, a little nip, a little tuck, some new “makeup” to hide the ravages if time (and a lazy installer.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lifetime EAA member