Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 37 of 69 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

I'm also waiting for the tail skybeacon. Since I currently have LED strobes and nav lights, I normally leave them on all the time when I fly.
    Last edited by Stephen; 12-01-2018 at 09:25 AM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Tail skybeacon seems like the way to go for me as well. I have strobes(real) and led position lights, been wondering about what to do for the tail.......

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also looking at the wingtip skybeacon... I've seen where some ads say "3-wire" connection, and others say only two wires. Anybody know what the difference is? (Maybe the strobe feature?) My wingtip light has only two wires.

Post Thanks / Like

According to the installation instructions, there are 3 wires on the unit. One powers the nav light and ADS-B, One for the strobe if needed and one for the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been notified my Uavionix Nav Light ADS-b order has shipped. Its in Missoula MT right now.
    Shipped USPS priority mail. They must have more faith in the Post Office around Christmas time than me!
    Ill shake the box when I get it and listen for that "broken ornament" sound.
    Then to the shop and hanger to install.
    Will provide updates if anyone is interested.
    (Sorry for the redundancy if there is already a thread running about this device on SWPipers.org, that I'm not clued into)

MERRY CHRISTMAS, REID

Post Thanks / Like

Default ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Got mine a week ago. Haven’t been able to get over to my mechanic’a shop yet to install it. One thing I did notice is it doesn’t line up with the grimes mount. You’ll either need a spacer or some washers to make it work.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It will be great to see the results of these installations and how these solutions preform!
    Thanks Reid and Mike for paving the way for some of us who will learn from your installations!
    And thank you SJ for fixing the photo attachments. Just in time!
    Brian
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just installed the SkyBeacon on a PA12 this week. I used a piece of 3/16" aluminum plate to make a spacer to mount the unit flush instead of recessed like the original light. This particular aircraft has Whelen strobes installed so I disconnected the plug from the power pack to the strobe in the left wing, spliced one of the three wirs into the power wire that feeds that power pack so the stobe in the SkyBeacon comes on with the aircraft's strobe switch. If you don't have strobes or an extra wire you can put the nav and strobe wires together so they are both on all the time.

Here is a picture with the 3/16" spacer I made from aluminum.
    IMG_20181218_102357.jpg

I ended up painting the spacer black but it can be seen in these pictures before I painted it.
    IMG_20181218_102659.jpg

IMG_20181218_102707.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great Steve! I was thinking of doing the same just haven’t had time to make the spacer yet, I guess there is some major holiday next week that’s sucking up everyone’s time and money

Since the pacer only has one wire for the nav lights , I planned on connecting the yellow and red leads to the NAV like you said, but you don’t have to have them on all the time. You can turn the strobes on and off in the setup app, which is a heck if a lot easier then running a new wire though that wing.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by siouxpilot77 View Post
    Looks great Steve! I was thinking of doing the same just haven’t had time to make the spacer yet, I guess there is some major holiday next week that’s sucking up everyone’s time and money

Since the pacer only has one wire for the nav lights , I planned on connecting the yellow and red leads to the NAV like you said, but you don’t have to have them on all the time. You can turn the strobes on and off in the setup app, which is a heck if a lot easier then running a new wire though that wing.

Mike

Ah, haven't gotten that far yet.