Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Overhaul and upgrade to an O-360

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Overhaul and upgrade to an O-360

Awesome, can't wait for the PIREP.

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to get 2.5 hours on the new motor yesterday and here are my observations.
    Awos reported calm winds 54 degrees and a density altitude of -400'. Airport elevation is 54'. Me, full fuel, and some gear in the back puts the weight about 1,630#.
    After a warm up and a couple high speed taxis, I performed a no flaps 80 mph climb takeoff. Don't recall the exact numbers but it was in the vicinity of 2550 rpm with 1100 fpm climb.
    Flew the first half hour at 1500' running 2470 rpm at 100 mph indicated. Burning 8.6 gph; not too bad.
    I then climbed to 5000' but couldn't do it full throttle because I would have been over 2700 rpm. And i didn't want to pull back too aggressively so as to keep good cooling airflow through the motor.
    After an hour I came back in and inspected things. Found another small oil leak (I was paranoid about over torquing fittings when I assembled) and addressed that. Flew another hour and did a couple landings. On the last downwind leg I did I pulled the power back to what was my normal cruise speed of 80 mph. So in level flight I had to power back to 2000 rpm to see 80 mph indicated. With mixture leaned out I had a fuel burn of 5gph!

So far my opinion is; its smooth, really smooth. I think it's a combination of the wood prop and the flow balancing done to the cylinders. I need to check torque on the prop bolts after the first flight and I'll really fine tune the tracking with some paper shims (was within 1/8" at install which is inside the tolerances) and that will likely smooth it out even more. Also hangar mate has a dyna vibe tool that I might be able to use and get it ridiculously smooth.
    The prop I'm not impressed. Yes it is smooth, but the performance to me appears to be identical to the O-320 with an 82-44 borer prop. Although it's obvious I can throttle back and cruise the same speed with less fuel. And I'm Curious to see how it performs at max gross.20181007_152234.jpg20181007_152249.jpg20181007_153855.jpg20181007_153911.jpg20181007_181152.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

How long before the smile wore off? 100 hrs and mine is still big!

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org
    "If you do something; something else will happen. Don't wiggle the controls" Jim Alsip; EAA Webinar Oct 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Oh it's still there! I have some time this morning, going out to put more time on it and get better acquainted.

Post Thanks / Like

Was up today doing maneuvers to knock the rust off. Engine still running great, but that prop is underwhelming. 2600 on a 70 mph climb garnished about 1300 fpm. 2700 flat out level gets only 100-105 mph.
    I guess I was over optimistic when ordering g it that it would give me better numbers than this. But it is smooth.
    So, had the usual issue of the front cylinders running colder than the rear, almost 50 degrees difference between. Whipped out the foil tape and blocked off a section on both front cylinders and now in cruise there's only a 12-15 degree difference! Also 2450 cruise leaned out as best as a carb can be has me in the 360-375 degree range for cylinder heads. That's with an OAT in the 40's. While I was in there i also taped the hinges to tighten up some leaking cooling air.20181009_100200.jpg20181009_100150.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Was up today doing maneuvers to knock the rust off. Engine still running great, but that prop is underwhelming. 2600 on a 70 mph climb garnished about 1300 fpm. 2700 flat out level gets only 100-105 mph.
    I guess I was over optimistic when ordering g it that it would give me better numbers than this. But it is smooth.
    So, had the usual issue of the front cylinders running colder than the rear, almost 50 degrees difference between. Whipped out the foil tape and blocked off a section on both front cylinders and now in cruise there's only a 12-15 degree difference! Also 2450 cruise leaned out as best as a carb can be has me in the 360-375 degree range for cylinder heads. That's with an OAT in the 40's. While I was in there i also taped the hinges to tighten up some leaking cooling air.20181009_100200.jpg20181009_100150.jpg

Sounds like things are dialed in well! How are your cylinders in a hard climb? I will hit 400 at about 3,000’, but simply trimming for 90 and throttling back gets me back to the green.

After today’s flight, looks like I’ll be taping the oil cooler.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    "If you do something; something else will happen. Don't wiggle the controls" Jim Alsip; EAA Webinar Oct 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Sensenich metal will give a better cruise but would be curious about the effects on climb. Be interesting to test the Sensenich wood, metal and McCauley 1A200. The metal prop is going to add a lot of weight up front, it weighs 45 lbs with the 1/2" bolts.

Post Thanks / Like

An adjustable MT would be nice on this engine!

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question Ed, temps where peaking around 420 on a hard steep climb. According to the TCDS that's still in the green.
    I too would like to try the other two props as well as a Pawnee. But, with the longer bushings installed in the crank flame I wonder if a metal prop would still mount? I have been putting feelers out to see if anyone local has one of those props I could try.
    Pilot, my hangar mate has a C-170 with an O-360 and the MT on it. Yes I agree that would be an awesome setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    To answer your question Ed, temps where peaking around 420 on a hard steep climb. According to the TCDS that's still in the green.
    I too would like to try the other two props as well as a Pawnee. But, with the longer bushings installed in the crank flame I wonder if a metal prop would still mount? I have been putting feelers out to see if anyone local has one of those props I could try.
    Pilot, my hangar mate has a C-170 with an O-360 and the MT on it. Yes I agree that would be an awesome setup.

I have a 76EM8 55” pitch that you are welcome to try if you get up this way. It is on the flat side of things but should provide good take off performance. I think Trimmer recommends a 57” pitch.

The normal Pawnee prop is 84”. I was able to qualify for a Borer 82” but barely squeaked by with 9” clearance at level flight configuration. The Pawnee may be too long for a pacer. Definitely worth a try though.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app