Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Window sealent

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Window sealent

LP makes windows and sells the Bostik 1100 urethane or you can buy it in most hardware stores, it sticks to the skylight material well so that is what I use on all the glass. The 3M caulk sealant can be used in the groove between materials, is messy and won't work in all areas.

Post Thanks / Like

So I finally got down to business and started removing the old skylight to make way for the new. I didn't expect this to be turn your head and walk away project, but so far I'm having more fun than I initially anticipated.
    The last installer put a white vinyl tape or seal type material over the edge of the skylight and the wing root fairing. This was extended all the way down fuselage to the end of the fairing. Even with heat, a putty knife, and kind words, I couldn't get the stuff up without pulling all the finish off...right down to bare fabric in places.
    I've got myself some bostik 1100 as well as some piper black tar tape for the install. It seems as though the previous installer used a black caulk like substance throughout in addition to some crumbly white caulk stuff at the top of the windshield.
    Are there areas of the install that would benefit from having one material over the other? I've removed as much of the old sealant/adhesive as possible but I've still got a little wire brushing, priming, and painting to do in the areas where water rusted the frame a bit. IMG_0724.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use the 1100 to seal around the edges of the glass after installation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I use the 1100 to seal around the edges of the glass after installation.
    Thanks--nothing under the edges of the glass? Previous install had sealant under every conceivable contact point. I'm wondering if this didn't allow the glass to flex and contributed to the cracking. Might have also been the 10 years since install?

Do you use any sort of grommet under the fastening hardware? Quite a bit of leaking under the old fasteners. Previously there was a circular piece of plexiglass glued to the large sheet of glass with sealant. I'll get a photo of this when I head to the shop this morning.

Thanks much for your advice on all this. I'd like to get this install sorted out cleanly for the summer on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Piper used felt washers on the Super Cub. I have punched out and actually found some large area rubber washers at Lowes that I used on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW ......... I use the 3M strip caulk too, molds in real nice when wiped down with a reducer after in place. Also, I use a 1/4 tubing, or appropriate size, in each hole as a "bushing" between bolt/screw and glass. Cut a little longer than glass thickness. ....... lets glass "float" a little when fuselage flexes. Seems to seal better too. Use a Unibit to open up holes in glass, never a drill. And make sure holes are chamfered, the Unibit does a good job on this too. Have never had a crack from a bolt hole using this method.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Front Wind Screen Seal???

I have the lower front wind screen piece sealed to the fuselage using the black 3M strip calk. Not sure I want to use that on the plexiglass and outer trim piece.
    Does anyone have a good way to seal the front wind screen to the outer trim and up the side and top?

Thanks,
    Mark
    N3320Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mark, merged your thread with another on the subject. Bostik 1100 works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Mark, merged your thread with another on the subject. Bostik 1100 works great.
    Thanks Steve.
    It say's "sealant/adhesive" will I be able to easily remove it when needed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It isn't too bad. Piper just used the tacky tape under the strips.