Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tiedowns

Post Thanks / Like

Mark

Please let us know what you think of the product. If you like it, I think I'll order some myself as I really need some tiedowns. Plus, Adam seems like a straight-talking kind of guy.

Johnnie

Post Thanks / Like

Big John,
    All who are interested in finding some tiedowns that seem to hold when others fail should check out the video on the SFTD site. Not exactly MIT scientific methodology, but in this case simplicity was best.
    The video demonstrated is several types of soil, and pavement, also. I wonder how they would have fared in the maelstrom at SnF? During the extended discussions after the disaster, there were numerous accounts of tie down failures.
    Last edited by pa20; 04-25-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Typo
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stormforcetds View Post
    Hi Mark,
    I appreciate your concerns. We do actually have a security certificate for our website. The https does not appear until checkout, which is when you would be entering your credit card info, so all is safe in that regard, but I do understand your concern. As far as our contact info, we may be reached via email and phone. However the phone number is not attended regularly, but we do check messages and do return calls. As far as this being my first post, you are absolutely correct, I actually noticed a large amount of traffic coming to our website from this forum and decided to check it out. I hope I have put your concerns to rest, and like I said I do appreciate your comments. I am here to make our customers feel appreciated and comfortable.

Please feel free to email me directly with any other questions or concerns. adam@stormforcetiedowns.com

By the way, thanks for the order. I hope you enjoy our product!

Regards,
    Adam
    I believe that I can safely speak for all of us (SWPC and SWPO members) when I say that I appreciate you taking the time to make contact with the forum members and give an extra incentive to try your product. I have ran into enough companies that absolutely DO NOT CARE about their customers that I can appreciate someone that does.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,
    Did you get the tie-downs? Try them out yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I did receive them about two weeks ago. Unfortunately, i have not been anywhere to try them out.
    The quality looks very good, and the kit comes in a nice heavy duty bag. Looking forward to being able to go somewhere they can be put to the test.
    Mark Ohlau

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pa20 View Post
    Looking forward to being able to go somewhere they can be put to the test.
    Thought anymore about that trip to Johnson Creek this summer?
    Here is a JC webcam: http://www.ruralnetwork.net/~yellowpinecm/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaFlyer View Post
    Thought anymore about that trip to Johnson Creek this summer?
    Here is a JC webcam: http://www.ruralnetwork.net/~yellowpinecm/
    Always thinking about it! However, not sure if, or when it will be. June is already shot due to graduation, a planned event on the 26th, and the obligatory indentured servitude to my company.
    If I recall correctly, there were some SWP fliers that were planning a journey to JC this summer. Maybe I will post a message in the "Gatherings" forum to see if there is anything definite planned. A check of the web cam shows it is pretty slow this weekend. The temperature at MYL shows 35F, which sure beats the 83F, clouds and rain here in Hong Kong!
    It sure seems a shame to have those nice, shiny new tie downs and not give them a proper try out!
    Last edited by pa20; 05-21-2011 at 08:10 AM.
    Mark Ohlau

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw this video from Aviation Consumer. It compares three types of tie-down systems; a home brewed system of steel pins, the Storm Force and the AID's (?) systems.
    The steel pin system did not fare well in the test. The Storm Force system fared a little better in the sandy soil, but not up to manufacturers claims. However, by finding a more stable soil, they were able to reach the stated strength. The AID's system fared much better in the sandy soil. Here is the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIuYK_eEQ9c
    I will be giving my Storm Force system a try at JC in September. Maybe we can do our own comparison testing while there. I certainly hope that Mother Nature does not decide to provide her own research!
    Mark Ohlau

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tie down anchors

I'm in the need for some good tie down anchors for my tripe. Anybody have any suggestions? I am interested in what you all use and a few "real world" reviews would be ideal. Thanks in advance.
    Johnnie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tie down anchors

I use dog screw in tie downs.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."