Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Leading Edge Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Leading Edge Exhaust

Thx a lot for that - nice clamps - will try and see if I go that route or modify my set up to accommodate an alignment pin like on the piper style clamps. At least that way they won't slip out anymore.

I just wonder if I am the only one that got the bottomed out clamps ... and if all the other ones seem to have the piper style ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Baron View Post
    Thx a lot for that - nice clamps - will try and see if I go that route or modify my set up to accommodate an alignment pin like on the piper style clamps. At least that way they won't slip out anymore.

I just wonder if I am the only one that got the bottomed out clamps ... and if all the other ones seem to have the piper style ones.
    Here a pic of the muffler clamps I have - bottomed out and you can see the milky coloured deposit on the hose clamp that holds the heat shield tape, from the leaking that happens once they expand in flight.

525B4190-9397-40B2-9571-D6A3406CDCA7.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Are all your clamps leaking, or just that one.....maybe you got a bum clamp?
    Those are the same clamps I have on mine, next time I'm out I'll have a close look at mine to see if any of them are leaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfgoe View Post
    Are all your clamps leaking, or just that one.....maybe you got a bum clamp?
    Those are the same clamps I have on mine, next time I'm out I'll have a close look at mine to see if any of them are leaking.
    Since my engine got in and out for shock load they are all taking turns leaking - the #4 pipe even slipped all the way out, now after loosening re-aligning everything and retightening I had one short 0.3 h flight without leaks. Now 2 h after the #2 is loose and clearly #1 and/or #3 on the picture are leaking as well ....

Post Thanks / Like

I went and took a look at my clamps today, all look pretty good with only evedence of slight leaking. My clamps look like they could be one size smaller than yours, as the band loops on mine are further apart than yours, and they are tight.
    The number on my clamps - D43H-75-188-SL made by DIXON
    Here are some on EBAY.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dixon-STBC1...-/262658696660.....

20180210_132111.jpg20180210_132205.jpg20180210_132821.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfgoe View Post
    I went and took a look at my clamps today, all look pretty good with only evedence of slight leaking. My clamps look like they could be one size smaller than yours, as the band loops on mine are further apart than yours, and they are tight.
    The number on my clamps - D43H-75-188-SL made by DIXON
    Here are some on EBAY.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dixon-STBC1...-/262658696660.....

20180210_132111.jpg20180210_132205.jpg20180210_132821.jpg

thank you - your clamps look indeed smaller and much farther from bottoming out. Mine in addition to being too big by now, also look much more ‘tired’. Can hardly make out any numbers on them after 200 hours.
    How many hours have you put on yours?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine only have about 25-30 hours on them....

Post Thanks / Like

Progress: - took the old clamps off - very much worn out, heat was still wafting past them on shutdown ... you are welcome to try and read the specs on them but they are very much motorcycle clamps about a 3rd of the material thickness (0.6mm)
    of the piper clamps (1.9mm)
    IMG_8439.jpgIMG_8449.jpgIMG_8440.jpg
    Last edited by Yellow Baron; 02-15-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Made up Piper style clamps about 3 times thicker material (1.9mm vs. 0.6mm on the old ones), with an alignment stud (can't afford to end up in the middle of no-where, like close to the Mozambique border, 600 Nm from the nearest AMO to find my #4 pipe has slipped out again.)

IMG_8445.jpgIMG_8447.jpg

... but here the cliff-hanger: I might only fly the plane again on Monday to test if this 'clamp upgrade' actually solved my under cowl temp problems
    Last edited by Yellow Baron; 02-15-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Did some testflying, re-tightening and re-testflying with no change in firewall temperature (still too high around 85 degrees Celcius) and cabin CO2 in excess off 50 parts per million (thanks to my Drager PAC 5500).

So I applied Holts Fire Gum to all 4 joints and clamps, only to find out that they all are leaking terribly just on run-up ...

IMG_8266.jpg

So next I pulled the entire exhaust off.
    - 2 insights:
    A) all 4 joints had less than 1" overlap i.e. the pipes had moved half out off the muffler over the 200 hour period.
    B) the clamps have no chance in hell to apply appropriate pressure to the joints as the slotted ends are too close to the muffler body, one is essentially trying to clamp the weld of the short muffler ends

A): Pipes had almost all half slipped out the joint
    IMG_8329.jpg
    B): Pipes can only overlap about 1" - comparable STC's (Powerflow) recommend 1.5 minimum
    - you can also see the slotted ends are too short/close to the muffler body for there to be room to apply meaning-full clamping force
    IMG_8319.jpg

... so its back to the welder, lengthening both all 4 pipes and the 4 muffler ends to create more overlap/better clamping force and hopefully less leakage.

It will take a while. I will send update in late March.