Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trickle Charger Advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Trickle Charger Advice?

Greetings group

I have a 57 PA-22-150, and live in a cold climate. I must go away for long stretches at a time, and want to put a battery charger on the plane while away.

Are there any "gadgets" to make this possible without having to remove that difficult front seat each time? Some sort of plug in connector that can be left on battery without risking short circuit/fire?

I've found that whatever problem I think I have, somebody here has had it and solved it before. (Six weeks coming up in 12 days from now) leaving N7750D in a cold hangar. I have a block heating system to use when pre-warming, but if battery dies it won't do much good and I'm done "propping" engines due to rotator cuff injury years ago.

Regards from Maine
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trickle Charger Advice?

I use one from Walmart that has the ability to charge my agm batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, what is an "AGM?"

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Greetings group

I have a 57 PA-22-150, and live in a cold climate. I must go away for long stretches at a time, and want to put a battery charger on the plane while away.

Are there any "gadgets" to make this possible without having to remove that difficult front seat each time? Some sort of plug in connector that can be left on battery without risking short circuit/fire?

I've found that whatever problem I think I have, somebody here has had it and solved it before. (Six weeks coming up in 12 days from now) leaving N7750D in a cold hangar. I have a block heating system to use when pre-warming, but if battery dies it won't do much good and I'm done "propping" engines due to rotator cuff injury years ago.

Regards from Maine
    Bob

Just wanted to add for the ones that leave there airplane all winter outside, or for long periods of time like yourself, goto Walmart and buy a trickle charger solar panel. They work Great!! Used them myself with excellent results. Otherwise like mentioned go buy a trickle charger and plug it in. Last Note if you have the stock power box (old starter button/ Master Switch) under the pilots left leg and cant get to the battery terminals that easily. In the past I have clipped on the positive lead to the battery side wire of where the Starter Switch hooks up to and the ground wire to the unpainted portion of the box or the panel. Makes life lot easier then tearing the seats out. Just be careful not to short things out.

Jared

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'm lucky to have hangar space, but the length of my work contracts, especially in cold weather makes me worry about a dead battery on returning home. Will look for those connect points.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Thanks, what is an "AGM?"
    It is one of two things, it is either an Air to Ground Missile or a type of sealed battery, not based on Lead and Acid called "Absorbent Glass Mat". I am betting on it being the battery.

Post Thanks / Like

We really like the Genius G3500 battery tender. With an adapter, you can maintain the battery right through a cigarette lighter plug, assuming the cigarette lighter plug is wired hot through an inline fuse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Delamarter View Post
    We really like the Genius G3500 battery tender. With an adapter, you can maintain the battery right through a cigarette lighter plug, assuming the cigarette lighter plug is wired hot through an inline fuse.

This would require leaving the "master" switch on, which I don't like to do, even though fuses etc. work. Thanks for suggestion, and I'll keep looking.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Landreth View Post
    It is one of two things, it is either an Air to Ground Missile or a type of sealed battery, not based on Lead and Acid called "Absorbent Glass Mat". I am betting on it being the battery.
    Air to Ground Missiles...cool, can't find the STC for them though, but lock and load!

Post Thanks / Like

I successfully used these guys (http://www.batterytender.com/Automot...us-12V-5A.html) in a semi-permanent installation on my vehicles when I lived in Fairbanks.

Never had a fault or failure. If you're looking for a simple cord to hook up, I'd find a way to mount something like this (these are fully potted on the inside which helps moisture and vibration) semi-permanently on the airplane, and then just plug it in when you put the plane away.