Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Front crank Seal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Crankcase seal leaking

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliots View Post
    Looks like my nose seal (crankcase) is leaking, I'm getting oil on the bottom front of my engine and I traced it up to behind the prop flange area. I checked my crankcase breather line, its not blocked. I've never replaced one of these, my buddy who has 7 planes (most not flying) says it can be difficult. I printed off the Lycoming Svc. Instruction 1324C on doing it, so I have some guidance. I will be using the Dow 737 sealant per instructions. Thoughts or hints? Its a LYC o-235-C1B on my Colt. Thanks much.....
    Also, what sealant do you use, the Dow 737?

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with with what Lycoming recommends. The owner and senior A&P here likes high temp silicone (Ultra Copper from Permatex).

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely heat up a one piece seal, it is much easier to install. Put it in very hot water or oil to make it softer.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Definitely heat up a one piece seal, it is much easier to install. Put it in very hot water or oil to make it softer.
    Good advice but I can’t remember the last time I saw a good way to heat water in a hangar unless something like a camp stove or hot plate was brought from home. A microwave could be used to heat the water too but I don’t keep any of those things in the hangar. Or even my shop at the house for that matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Lay it on the dash of your car over the defroster with the heater on high.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    Good advice but I can’t remember the last time I saw a good way to heat water in a hangar unless something like a camp stove or hot plate was brought from home. A microwave could be used to heat the water too but I don’t keep any of those things in the hangar. Or even my shop at the house for that matter.
    How do you make your coffee when hanging out at your den?

Post Thanks / Like

I believe split seal and full seal are interchangeable. I always use split and put the seam at 1 o'clock. Push the seal in 1/4 way before putting sealant on so not to have sealant covering up oil return hole etc.--Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Front crank Seal

I merged several threads on the same subject. Also some good information on this thread. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...371#post108371

Be willing to loan my crank shaft seal tool to a contributing member.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I merged several threads on the same subject. Also some good information on this thread. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...371#post108371

Thanks Steve, I'll take you up on that offer and PM you later. Bought the seal yesterday from Aircraft Specialties here in TUL, so may try to do it this weekend or as soon as I get your install tool. Was planning on renewing, so will do it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post

Steve,

Does your tool look like a bent screw driver or is it that expensive Lycoming seal installer? I've always used large screw drivers.