Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heel to Toe brakes

Post Thanks / Like

I just restored a PA12 and put in new Dakota Cub brakes. I have no use for the old units and would be willing to sell them at a reasonable price if I can find them in the hangar. Let me know if you are interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throttle Pusher View Post
    I was just thinking that when they went from T/D to nose pusher there could have been some bleed over on the frame effectivity. Brackets on the early 22's that were on the 20's.
    Even the Vags and Clippers had toe brakes, I don't think any shortwings had heel brakes.

How easy toe brakes are to deal with is a direct consequence of how they are set-up. I like to have to reach for the brakes, so my current set-up has the pedals tilted a little too far towards me. I'm forced to land with my feet on only the bottom of the pedals, then slide up to get on the brakes.
    Fortunately there are still a few threads of adjustment left so I can get them set a bit closer to my preference.

-Grant

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Heel to Toe brakes

Piper Part No. 11562 is the Piper channel that the Brake cycinder attaches to. I am trying to put the channel in place before I paint my Vagabond frame and this is the last part I have not been able to find or make.

1. Does anyone have an old fuselage they don't mind cutting them off?
    2. Does anyone now a supplier of this channel?
    3. Any other thoughts other than using angle iron?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Bellanca Cruisemaster once like that. When I went to get it I poured the coals to it the tail came up but I couldn’t get much speed to take off, didn’t take me long to figure it out. First fuel stop I took the courtesy car to town an bought some moccasins so I could feel the peddles. That got me home to fix it. But the way they were set up I still wore soft shoes when I flew it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantmac View Post
    Even the Vags and Clippers had toe brakes, I don't think any shortwings had heel brakes.

How easy toe brakes are to deal with is a direct consequence of how they are set-up. I like to have to reach for the brakes, so my current set-up has the pedals tilted a little too far towards me. I'm forced to land with my feet on only the bottom of the pedals, then slide up to get on the brakes.
    Fortunately there are still a few threads of adjustment left so I can get them set a bit closer to my preference.

-Grant
    i was responding to this quote and hit the wrong button. Fat fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Abypacer View Post
    Piper Part No. 11562 is the Piper channel that the Brake cycinder attaches to. I am trying to put the channel in place before I paint my Vagabond frame and this is the last part I have not been able to find or make.

1. Does anyone have an old fuselage they don't mind cutting them off?
    2. Does anyone now a supplier of this channel?
    3. Any other thoughts other than using angle iron?

Jeff
    Jeff, I am dealing with the same thing on a Clipper. Started fabricating the parts this evening until dinner was ready. Will update this thread on the progress.
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...From-A-Clipper