Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Landing technique

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Landing technique

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjeep View Post
    I'm getting better at turning the trim handle the right direction somtimes.
    A trick I learned from someone here is to always leave the trim handle pointing to the left. Having a half turn on the handle either way isn't going to make a difference on trim. However, by leaving the handle pointing left it's always push forward for nose down or pull back for nose up same as the yoke.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

80 is a little fast but it gets me comfortably to the runway and it bleeds off fast after flair. I usually loose the flaps and keep back on the yoke and don't use the brakes much at all. Stall seems to be 45ish full flaps but the nose really doesn't break much. I think that sinking sensation is what keeps me at a higher speed. I will start dropping 5mph and practice. I currently have about 10 hours 40 landings in my plane so this is still all new.

Post Thanks / Like

I think of the trim handle as a screw attached to the moon. Tighten the screw, the nose goes up. Loosen the screw the nose can come down.

I make all my flap inputs at once at 80 mph because that way I never have to trim. It took me from cruise speed to a nice even 75-80 for my approach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scotthayd View Post
    I think of the trim handle as a screw attached to the moon. Tighten the screw, the nose goes up. Loosen the screw the nose can come down.

I make all my flap inputs at once at 80 mph because that way I never have to trim. It took me from cruise speed to a nice even 75-80 for my approach.
    Full flaps at what point?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just know that airspeed indicators indicate different speeds in a lot of the short wings I have flown. I would recomend doing a lot of touch and goes and a lot of runs down the runway as slow as possible just enough to keep from landing. Gives you a good feel of the airplane and where the edge is.

Post Thanks / Like

As Steve mentioned, airspeeds might indicate different in different airplanes (of same type).
    I always fly out in an area I can do power off stall series in all configurations and note the indicated airspeed at which
    the stall occurs. (in many pacer tripacers there will not be true stall but instead it just starts sinking with yoke all the way back)
    Whatever you determine the indicated speed on that airplane to be when the stall occurs or the sinking begins, I add 25 to 30%
    of that value and that becomes my short final indicated I shoot for. For power on and flatter approaches I personally use
    about a 20% additive. My plane seems to indicate about 45 mph for those stall exercises and I try to "cross the fence" at 55 mph.
    As someone noted in a previous post or thread, your flare does not have to have enough energy to float a long way down the runway.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjeep View Post
    Full flaps at what point?
    I pull flaps on downwind when even with my landing point. Or whenever necessary.
    I have to trim at the intermediate flap setting, but if I go full flaps I don't have to trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Just know that airspeed indicators indicate different speeds in a lot of the short wings I have flown. I would recomend doing a lot of touch and goes and a lot of runs down the runway as slow as possible just enough to keep from landing. Gives you a good feel of the airplane and where the edge is.
    This is a great exercise.
    It teaches you how to control your energy and hold the plane right where you want it. It gives you practice in the landing configuration with the ground RIGHT THERE so you can see exactly what every adjustment does.
    Slow flight at altitude is good practice. Slow flight 6" above the runway is 100x better!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm about the same as post #1 but at the #s on downwind 3-4 turns up to slow down but still have a light feel on the wheel. Yea Gilbert no flaps, would if you could?
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scotthayd View Post
    I pull flaps on downwind when even with my landing point. Or whenever necessary.
    I have to trim at the intermediate flap setting, but if I go full flaps I don't have to trim.
    Ok. I've seen another post somewhere that said they went full flaps down wind, but I thought if I lost the engine they would create a lot of drag. I'll have to try it.