Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Wing STC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wing STC

Quote Originally Posted by Just Call Me Al View Post
    Which stamped metal rib works best with a squared off wing tip extension? Would a butt rib? Or is there a full length rib?
    Thank you in advance.
    I used a full length regular rib for the outter rib although, a butt rib should work fine. Make sure you use plenty of angle supports to keep the rib from warping when you tighten the fabric. I would use them on both sides of each spar on upper and lower wing surfaces. You can even double them up by installing a short one then a longer one.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for my ignorance, but that is why I lurk on this forum. Which rib is better? Wouldn't the LH butt rib on the RH wing tip wok best since it is made for the end of the spar? Just trying to figure out the correct application since the product pictures on the Internet catalogs have verying degrees of accuracy. Thanks for the "tip" on bracing or doubling to prevent fabric pulling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It would be plenty stiff because it has the flange for the tank bay cover spot welded to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just Call Me Al View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, but that is why I lurk on this forum. Which rib is better? Wouldn't the LH butt rib on the RH wing tip wok best since it is made for the end of the spar? Just trying to figure out the correct application since the product pictures on the Internet catalogs have verying degrees of accuracy. Thanks for the "tip" on bracing or doubling to prevent fabric pulling.
    Yes, it will work fine. I have installed the outter stamped ribs curved in and curved out. It really does not matter. Curved out gives you an extra 1/2 inch of wing span. I'm remembering that my outter ribs do not have the slots for the spar. I used 1" aluminum angle, cut to fit the spar web. I double the angle piece so it fits each side of the web. I bolt everything with AN 3. Obviously, line the outter rib with the other ribs. Another reason to install the outter rib curved out is after the fabric work is done you can slide on tinnerman or clip nuts to attach the wing tip. If you are using ribs with spar slots I would still face them curved out and bolt them on with angle pieces, I wouldn't trust screwing them like the other ribs.
    Last edited by Stephen; 10-05-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Which rib would not have slots for the spars? If they are curved out wouldn't that be a problem for wrapping the fabric? Or would you stick the rib curved outward on after the fabric work was done, butted up to another rib that is curved inboard facing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Spoke with Eddie a month ago...before ordering the wing ribs, leading edge metal to the tip, false spars and 4 tank bay false spars.....and longer spars...no spar splice.....and two extra aileron hinge assemblies for use as the third hinge on the flaps. As soon as I get the wing parts from Dakota Cub...I'll measure all the skin thickness, spar and spar reenforcement dimensions....figure out the structure I'll be using when the flap hinge is moved to what is the stock outboard flap hinge location...then send him the drawings.... I think this'll pass FAA muster. The wings will only be extended by 7-1/8" per side not including the crosswind STOL wing tips. One extra drag strut and cross brace set up per side. By the time I'm done I'll have the weight of the additional parts and pieces greater than the stock wing parts weight. Wing parts are in Anchorage...yellow freight can't tell me which air cargo outfit will haul the wing parts crate to Bethel?
    Where or what route, did you go through to order blank spar material in the length that you wanted? I may need to get some if I can't find used parts and or to eliminate spar splices. Curious about pricing and shipping options, as well. Shipping frustrations add so much to the price and complexity of the project here...