Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: BF Goodrich wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Default BF Goodrich wheels

I still have the original BF Goodrich wheels and expander tube brakes on my Vagabond (they work fine!).
    Every few years I give the brake drum outer surfaces a good clean/wire brush to get rid of any surface corrosion and old paint and then repaint with heat resistant black paint.
    However, even though I carefully clean the corrosion off and ensure a good coat of paint, every few years I need to repeat the process.
    Anyone found a really good way to tackle this issue so biennial re-painting comes a thing of the past?
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: BF Goodrich wheels

Hey Tony,

Have you thought of powder coating? I've had good luck powder coating different items on my Harley on things that have a tendency to get rock chips and have had good luck with using the local powder coater guy. Just a thought.

wes

Post Thanks / Like

Tony,

What about stove enamelling? Triumph, Norton, BSA all used it on there motorcycles with drum brakes. With the huge vintage motorcycle following in your country it would seem that all you would have to do it pick up a copy of Classic Bike to find someone who still does the process. I would think that the heat from the braking action might affect the powder coating, that is what is used to cure it. Univair still has the rivets, so it would be easy to remove and reattach.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Will investigate your suggestions.

TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Duracote firearms coating is extremely tough stuff, heat cured and high temperature.

Grant

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Grant,

I was going to look at paints made by that manufacturer as I have had good results with other Duracoat paints for my carb heat box and intake spider etc. I didn't know they did something like firearms coatings, but that would appear to be just what I need.
    Also, the local UK stockist is just 15 miles up the road from me!
    Will give it a try.
    Thanks for the tip.

TonyN