Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy's Pacer restoration thread...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Andy's Pacer restoration thread...

Started assembling wings...

Bead blasting wing parts...

Right up until my blast cabinet dust motor went TU.. Got that in getting fixed now..

Weighed the spars after paint... About a 1 pound increase..

Slid on the ribs..

Started installing new rib screws... The 90 degree air drill is my favorite tool for this job..

New screws.. Got more on order from Univair...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You make this stuff look too easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    You make this stuff look too easy.
    Not my first rodeo... Lol...

All humor asside, they really are not that hard to assemble, just a big erector set...

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

How do you spot the old rib holes in the spar? Strap duplicator or eyeball it ? 1 pound for paint on the spars seems worth it to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Andy's Pacer restoration thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Cub Junkie View Post
    How do you spot the old rib holes in the spar? Strap duplicator or eyeball it ? 1 pound for paint on the spars seems worth it to me.
    The front of the front spar.... There are very few "extra" holes on it... First four from the but rib are for the tank bay ribs... Then it is full rib, nose rib, full rib, nose rib and so on until you get to the full length aileron rib at the end.... Also, there is one special rib that goes at the wing strut attach point... If you look at the above pictures it is the one with a close up shot of the screws... The upright is notched for clearance of the strut attach blocks that are bolted onto the spar face...

Once I get the front spar ribs located it is just a matter of measuring from the butt rib each location across the front spar and replicating along the rear..

Brian
    Last edited by stevesaircraft(Bri); 02-06-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I worded my question well. Do the new ribs come with screw holes to go back in the existing holes on the spar? I have only disassembled these type of wings. Never put one back together.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Andy's Pacer restoration thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Cub Junkie View Post
    I don't think I worded my question well. Do the new ribs come with screw holes to go back in the existing holes on the spar? I have only disassembled these type of wings. Never put one back together.
    Yes, they are pre-drilled at about a 1/16 hole... I finish drill them at a #40 for the screw...

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I got my small parts primed and painted this week for my left wing. Hope to prime and paint the spars next week. Made the trailing edge behind the fuel tank today for the right wing. The next warm week around here I will form the leading edge pieces using a pvc pipe and a shop vac. This method has worked great doing Luscombe and Great Lakes leading edges. There is several you tube videos on vacuum forming leading edges.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

The 90 degree drill pictured in post #131 is without a doubt one of those "don't use it often, but when you need it..you need it" tools. Not cheap, and I waited a long to finally get one. But, has been totally worth it while drilling the small rivets on the rib assy's.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pa20 View Post
    The 90 degree drill pictured in post #131 is without a doubt one of those "don't use it often, but when you need it..you need it" tools. Not cheap, and I waited a long to finally get one. But, has been totally worth it while drilling the small rivets on the rib assy's.
    I've rebuilt mine twice now... Bearings eventually go bad... Glad they are easily available...

Did a little today... Waiting for parts to show up from Univair...

Did a scratch and spray on the compression tubes... Replacing one of the root tubes due to dents, will take pics of that when the new one gets here...

Hung and painted the tubes with what was left of the white paint I had available...

Realized my rib spacing was off, got that figured out and corrected..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk