Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New member - New project

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New member - New project

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Look at the thread on SB819. Seen plenty of frames that looked perfect till the sheet steel was removed. Use a Blair bit to drill some holes if you want to inspect.
    I certainly will. And I have Clayton's good guidance as he has mentioned this in his seaplane door thread. I'll let him put eyes on it if I have any question. Someone has previously drilled some holes in the affected areas and I will drill more if I need to. Being an A&P for over 20 years - I certainly know that corrosion can conceal itself in some strange places. I'm looking at the windshield channel very carefully as a start - if there is any indication of a problem - I'll keep digging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is a good thread on the subject. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...rame-Corrosion

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a good thread on the subject. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...rame-Corrosion
    Read the whole thread already Steve. Some great info and pictures in there.
    I had already come across the subject before I went and picked this thing up and had the SB in hand when I initially looked at the airplane... I do admit, the instances of complete tube deterioration in otherwise clean aircraft will haunt the dreams of even the most seasoned inspector.
    I'm typing this on my phone as I sit next to the left side door.... (fuselage decovered) and I'm willing to bet Internet ridicule on what I'm seeing. I don't think I have any extensive corrosion. Every time I get a glimpse of dark disfigured bubbles on a tube, it's just greasy dirt that wipes away with my finger.
    This is all I've been able to muster and it's not even on any of the tubes in question. It's the small adjacent u-channel inboard of the lower rear door structure:
    20160522_181326_resized.jpg
    20160522_183637_resized.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is how I inspected a late model Super Cub in an area prone to corrosion. All was good and I could get primer and paint in there.
    20160522_185306.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Well just to shed a little glimmer of hope on the SB819. I did the left side sea plane door on our 1952 Pacer. Some of the material that I cut out would have been replaced in the SB. After removing said material all was good and would have been a waste of time and money to do the SB. I even cut some of the old tubing in pieces to see how it held up. All was fine. Therefore I decided not to go any further along the lines of the SB. There is not any indication of bad metal or tubing anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wyandot jim View Post
    Well just to shed a little glimmer of hope on the SB819. I did the left side sea plane door on our 1952 Pacer. Some of the material that I cut out would have been replaced in the SB. After removing said material all was good and would have been a waste of time and money to do the SB. I even cut some of the old tubing in pieces to see how it held up. All was fine. Therefore I decided not to go any further along the lines of the SB. There is not any indication of bad metal or tubing anywhere.
    I feel I'm kind of in the same boat here... but looking at it from the other side of the coin - most people will wonder why on earth I didn't comply with it while I had everything uncovered. If I'm right, and there is no significant corrosion, then I could just stitch the metal back on after adding corrosion inhibitor, and have it signed off. Along those lines, what is everyone using in these areas? Obviously we have something better than hot linseed oil these days, right? I've used a product on steel in classic cars called POR15 which turns any rust back into steel and then seals it against future oxidation. It's held up very well on my Jeep floors here in the Gulf Coast salt air. Ideas?
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, if you are down Victoria way, look me up. I have one Pacer project in the covering stage and my 22/20 I completed in 2013. I liked your response to Jim, without really twisting off. I think he thought you could handle such a question, and he was right. I got a good laugh from that one too. Its good to see young people getting into these airplanes. Many of us could be described as gear-leg humpers and tire kickers, or well-married long ago, so your wife is safe here. Welcome again, and I am glad you are having fun with us.

Lou
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lownslow View Post
    Matt, if you are down Victoria way, look me up. I have one Pacer project in the covering stage and my 22/20 I completed in 2013. I liked your response to Jim, without really twisting off. I think he thought you could handle such a question, and he was right. I got a good laugh from that one too. Its good to see young people getting into these airplanes. Many of us could be described as gear-leg humpers and tire kickers, or well-married long ago, so your wife is safe here. Welcome again, and I am glad you are having fun with us.

Lou
    Thanks Lou,
    I'm laughing at it now. Caught me off guard and then I settled down.
    And thanks for considering me a "young person" - a friend told me recently "Whatever you're gonna do, you better do it. This ride is already half over". That's really been my reasoning for trying to pull this off now. If I don't get back in the air this decade - it's completely plausible that it wouldn't happen.
    Building a simple wing cradle to get the wings off the floor. Then some stands / rotisseries for all the "long parts".
    Really having trouble pulling the fabric off the wings. It's in pretty darn good shape - some fisheyes here and there and definitely "rough around the edges" but darn near / if not airworthy. But how do you hang wings on a brand new recovered fuselage that were last covered the year after I was born? Feels like I am obligated to do the recover. Oh well - doesn't have to be decided now.
    Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hate to see you sell it Matt but life is ever changing.
    https://houston.craigslist.org/for/6117317326.html

Post Thanks / Like

Hate to see you sell it Matt but life is ever changing.
    https://houston.craigslist.org/for/6117317326.html

Indeed it is. Opportunity calls and I can't ignore it. Unfortunately to try and transport this to our destination is not feasible and the resources there don't support a rebuild effort. So I'm making it available and hopefully someome has the vision to put her in the air again.