Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Persistent Intake Leak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Persistent Intake Leak

Well, I took mine apart and didn't find a crack. However, when I torqued the collar down (without tightening the sump end) the tube could still move back and forth. Is it possible the flange has worn so thin that it's not making a good seal?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Give the coller a good look I have seen them distorted, think bowed, from bolt hole to bolt hole. I've flattened them in a press and a vice.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Ach, didn't think of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Also lycoming made two flanges: a thick one and a thin one. the thick one is usually found on higher HP engines. it could be that somebody grabbed a thick one and used it with your thin flanged intake pipe

wish I had a picture....

Post Thanks / Like

Now I didn't know there were two types/thicknesses. I have seen a number of them miss installed where the flange of the pipe was not properly seated in the collar. I can usually tell just by looking.

I snug up both bolts and then slide the tube around making sure it is within its depression and then tighten a little at a time switching back and forth to keep it all even. Then I tighten the hose clamp on the other end.

I have to pull the two aft intake tubes to get the nose gear assembly off or on each time I switch from floats to wheel gear or back. Really thought about just pulling the olio assembly and just leaving the works bolted on but its about a wash when all is said and done.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I have two things to check then. I put a straight edge on the tube flange but don't know why I didn't check for "taco-ing" on the collar, plus it has a part number stamped on it so I can check that as well.

update: 3 of my 4 collars (flanges in the PC) ar stamped 69009 (or maybe 60069, depending on which way is up) and neither number is in the O-320 catalog!

update #2: The collar/flange had a very slight but very definite bend to it. Flattened it out in the press and everything's tight … hopefully fourth time's the charm!

chris
    Last edited by Chris Iriarte; 07-24-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: information updated.

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought I'd bump this with an update to share the results. The collar ("flange" per the parts catalog) did have a slight bend ... couldn't see it with the eye but when I put it on a flat surface you could rock it side to side. Straightening it out in a press did the trick ... no more leak!

Chris