Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collar for Hydraulic Ram

Post Thanks / Like

Default Collar for Hydraulic Ram

I used to have a pair of Alpha Aviation low wing jacks that used a metal collar around the exposed piston shaft to lock it in position once the plane was up.

Now I have an engine hoist I use to lift the short-wing and it doesn't seem to hold pressure/position and thought the easiest fix would be to put one of these collars on it. Does anyone know where I could find this?

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Iriarte; 12-04-2016 at 08:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Collar for Hydraulic Ram

I had to replace t G e ram. Hagnt seen the collar you mention.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought of doing that, but I hate the thought of chucking this ram just to have the next one leak down too. It pumps great but I can't tell if it's leaking past the piston, the check valve or the release valve. Sure would be easier just to clamp it in place, but I can't seem to find anything on-line and I'm sure Alpha Aviation (that aircraft jack company) makes them in-house.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Irritates me that we can't rebuild these things with new o'rings and top off the fluid.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Could you split a piece of plastic or... pipe and hose clamp it around the ram? Several different lengths would probably keep you happy.
    Last edited by Jim; 12-05-2016 at 07:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The price we pay for using cheap Harbor Freight stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Irritates me that we can't rebuild these things with new o'rings and top off the fluid.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought of that, but the angle between the piston shaft and the arm would always be different so I don't know how reliable that would be. Maybe worth another look.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

Could you split a piece of plastic or... pipe and hose clamp it around the ram? Several different lengths would probably keep you happy.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, I just got a response from Alpha Aviation (jack manufacturer). Their locking collars are 1-1/4" in diameter (I'm assuming the contact meant ID) and are $10 ea. plus shipping. Keeping my fingers crossed that the shaft on my engine hoist is the same diameter!

Chris

P.S. Just spoke with Don McDonald from Alpha Aviation ... I thought they made their own collars but he tells me they're readily available from McMaster-Carr or Grainger in various sizes. He recommends doubling up with an engine hoist due to the moment arm.
    Last edited by Chris Iriarte; 12-06-2016 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Additional Info

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a HF hoist that was modified by removing the ram entirely, and in its place was an outer and inner steel tube with holes drilled and a pin for various boom heights. The top of the lifting boom was modified with brackets and pulleys and the lifting was done with a boat trailer winch. It was a winter day welding project for his son. Worked a lot better than my unmolested HF hoist that bleeds down slowly. When mine becomes unusable I'll modify it like my buddies.

Post Thanks / Like