Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PA-22 leaky tubes 6.00 x 6 - Michelin AirStops? Straight / Bent Valvestems w/Pants?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 leaky tubes 6.00 x 6 - Michelin AirStops? Straight / Bent Valvestems w/Pan

I always used Dessser retreads on my old Waco and T-6, lasted three times as long as a new tire and a lot less money too. However they can only recap 5 times then they get trashed, there's a little number stamped in the retread portion that informs you how many times its been retreaded. FYI.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 leaky tubes 6.00 x 6 - Michelin AirStops? Straight / Bent Valvestems w/Pan

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    https://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tire...SS-GL-1587.asp
    Once again you guys come through with timely solid recommendations. I'm ordering the Desser LeakGuard with bent stems so to work with the wheel pants. Thanks all.
    I learn something every day. I didn't know there are tubes available with bent stems. I will use these the next time I have to change the tires on my Pacer.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Have heard of same performance
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

An update to my previous post. I ended up ordering the Desser 600-6 leak guards with bent stems, not the 15/600-6 leak guards with bent stems. I was told the difference is that the standard 600-6 leak guards are for a 17.2 inch diameter tire whereas the 15/600-6 leg guards are for a 15 inch outer diameter tire. These tubes are designed not to be stretched when inflated and are manufactured to the final standard shape and volume they are meant to occupy. A lot of you probably already knew this but it was news to me. I was also told that bent stems and straight stem tubes will fit interchangeably on the same rims. The bent stems cannot be used with hubcaps, but are good for use with wheel pants. A lot of gliders use the bent stem tubes because their single main wheel is buried in the fuse most of the way. There is also a short bent stem version, which I considered but it didn't say that it was the leak guard butyl rubber blend.

Post Thanks / Like

The day after I got back from a flying trip, I noticed the right tire had lost a lot of air. Not being able to find any obvious puncture, I split the wheel and pulled the tube. The picture shows 3 lines that look like they have been rubbing against something, one of them being deep enough to cause a leak. Closer examination showed a small rectangular imprint on the tube, maybe .5" x .75". Looking inside the tire in the corresponding position was the remains of a plastic coated label of some description of a matching size to the imprint. In spite of the liberal amounts of talc in the tire, the plastic coating had rubbed away in 3 places, so I guess that caused the problem. It was a 50 hours old Goodyear Flight Special 600x6 6 ply, and the remnants of the label were quite hard to remove completely.
    Note to self--pull the other wheel and check the tube for an incipient problem.
    Live and learn.P1280681.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend fully deflating the tube after the beads have seated...this one procedure many do not do, it helps to insure there are no folds in the tube...was standard practice before tubeless tires and split rim tires. Once upon a time I was the assistant manager at large tire shop in rotten Groton nearly 40 yrs ago....seen folds that caused failures in tubes frequently.

And that tube needs a patch regardless if it holds air with or without some sort of sealant.
    Just my lowly crusty few pennies worth...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that's my SOP, too. After seating the bead, I always pull the valve and completely deflate the tire before refilling to recommended psi.
    The patch will be done tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    I highly recommend fully deflating the tube after the beads have seated...this one procedure many do not do, it helps to insure there are no folds in the tube...was standard practice before tubeless tires and split rim tires. Once upon a time I was the assistant manager at large tire shop in rotten Groton nearly 40 yrs ago....seen folds that caused failures in tubes frequently.

And that tube needs a patch regardless if it holds air with or without some sort of sealant.
    Just my lowly crusty few pennies worth...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    I highly recommend fully deflating the tube after the beads have seated...this one procedure many do not do, it helps to insure there are no folds in the tube...
    Been doing like Moyle long before I got an A&P......
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Goodyear put out this.
    Attached Files Attached Files