Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Airwothiness Certificate Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Airwothiness Certificate Question

A Pacer based at a local field has an an old style CAA Airworthines Certificate, issued in 1956. These certificates had an expiration date and were renewed every year year by a CAA Inspector. When the new permanent Certificates came out, some of the old style Certificates were still used with the wording in the expiration block that the Certificate was valid as long as the Aircraft was maintained in accordance with Part 43 of the regulations. It was signed by an inspector out of the LA ASDO 4.
    Has anyone seen or had any experience with these? Local opinions range from it being completely valid to having to be exchanged for the current style.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Airwothiness Certificate Question

If I remember correctly, the FAA came into existance in 1956. I know my 1953 Tripacer has any Airworthiness Certificate from the FAA dated 4/16/56 and my 1956 Tripacer is also dated 1956. I am not sure but I would think it should have an FAA issued Airworthiness Certificate.

Post Thanks / Like

1956 certificate should by good as issued by the FAA even though it is on a CAA form. I questioned this to my PMI and he showed me a page out of their handbook stating they were legal but if at all possible exchange the certificate with a new style certificate. They would like to get all the CAA certificates out of service.

Post Thanks / Like

FAA came about in 1958, I have a 1957 CAA certificate in my 22/20 that does not have an expiration date on it.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

We ran into a big hassle with this. When we bought the airplane the paper certificate was missing. An uninformed inspector tried to tell us that our airplane had been flying for 50+ years with annual inspections yet did not have a valid airworthiness certificate. Somehow all previous inspections had missed this but only he was smart enough to have found it. He wanted us to start from scratch to get the airplane recertified.
    The FAA document CD showed the airworthiness certificate reissued each year with a one year expiration written in. Then in the mid 1950's one was written with no expiration date filled in. Finally an old timer at the fisdo knew what that meant - they no longer expired. Then it was just a question of applying for a replacement certificate.

I've heard the original documents are quite pretty compared to the current ones . however the original one is still valid.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

FAA would like to get all the old certificates out of circulation. From Order 8130.2H
    "c. Exchange. It is highly desirable that all aircraft currently certificated in the standard category carry FAA Form 8100-2 to be consistent with the regulations. Owners and operators of general aviation and air carrier aircraft that still have FAA Form 1362A, Certificate of Airworthiness, should be encouraged to exchange such forms for the standard airworthiness certificate, FAA Form 8100-2. In exchanging these certificates, the operating certificate number will not be entered on the revised form. FAA Form 1362A will be attached to and forwarded with a copy of the revised certificate to AFS-750 to establish an official record of the exchange action. The foregoing exchange procedure also applies to FAA Form 8130-7, instead of FAA Form 1362B, Certificate of Airworthiness. The new airworthiness certificate will reflect the date as indicated on FAA Forms 1362A or 1362B, preceded by a capital “E” in the Date block of the certificate. The procedure to exchange a Certificate of Airworthiness (C of A) (ACA-1362 (12-50)) does not apply to an expired C of A issued before July 17, 1956. Block 4 of FAA Form 1362 indicates the date of expiration. Refer to the procedures in chapter 3 of this order for a standard airworthiness certificate.

The old 1362 and 1362A certificates only have an N# on them, no make or model or serial number is listed tying it to the actual aircraft. In addition, they reference the CAA act of 1938 instead of the FAA Act of 1958. They are still legal, but as stated earlier, FAA wants them gone. Best bet is to "misplace" it and request a replacement, then when it magically re-appear, keep it in the aircraft records for historic value.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading all that Bureaucratic mumbo jumbo makes my head hurt. Hope both of mine are 8100-2's. I'am not going to look for fear they aren't.

Post Thanks / Like

My C of A is form 8100-2

when I ordered the records CD from the FAA I also got in the batch a copy of the original 1326 form

so I find the history behind the forms interesting --
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the reply's.
    The Certificate in question is a an original 1362. It was issued on July 30, 1956 with the wording " valid as long as Aircraft is maintained in accordance with Part 43 of the regulations." Based on Order 8130.2H, it should be exchanged but is legal and exchange is not legally mandatory if I am reading the Order correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

You 've got it. Should you decide to get a new one, don't ask for an Exchange, tell them you lost your old one. With an Exchange. you give them the old one. If you lost it, you don't have the old one to give them and when you "find" it a week later, it can go in your aircraft history file. An Exchange can only be done by an FAA Inspector, a replacement can be done by an Inspector or a DAR.