Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a new ELT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on a new ELT

Thought it might be smart to upgrade from the Narco ELT 10. What is everyone's opinion and or recommendation on a 406 mgz model?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice on a new ELT

We went with the ACK only because that brand was in the airplane before and the upgrade was basically a drop in. Our is mounted behind the baggage compartment. The main battery used to be 8 D-cell batteries but is now a $159 replaceable unit. I think that is fairly standard for ELT's but it's gone from the cheaper solution to a fairly pricey one. I just really liked the old way with buying $15 worth of D-cell, oh well. It does also require two oddball batteries (CR2 3-volt and a Duracell PX-28L 6) that go into the panel unit. Those are about $15 for both and they don't come with the unit. About $500.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

I went with the same unit mounted on the floor boards under the pilot's seat. Pretty easy install.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The ACK 406 wired to a GPS is the least expensive option and gets you 406 with GPS at a great price. I researched this a while back and talked to a S&R pilot in Alaska. He said with a 406 w/GPS they were going on a rescue mission, not a search. He said the 121.5 signal bounces off of granite etc. Had a friend go into the water up there. The plane sunk but the GPS bread crumb trail lead them to the site and they found his body and some of the airplane.

I am using the Emerging Lifesaving Technologies 406 ELT with a built in GPS. The antenna can be installed inside a fabric covered aircraft and ithas a great track record with great customer service. https://www.eltechnolgies.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    The ACK 406 wired to a GPS is the least expensive option
    How does that work? Is the ELT listening to the GPS position all of the time? I don't think the battery could support this? If the ELT only wakes up and listens to the GPS after a crash, I would be concerned that the GPS may not be powered or operational when you need it most. Am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is an RS232 in on the ELT and an out on the GPS. The elt sends out a burst on it's initial transmission with a bread crumb trail of the track.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    There is an RS232 in on the ELT and an out on the GPS. The elt sends out a burst on it's initial transmission with a bread crumb trail of the track.
    Understood. My question is, if the pilot turns of the master (part of the emergency landing checklist) before the ELT is activated, will the ELT know the position?

Maybe the ELT is using the RS232 as a low current power source so that it can receive and remember the position info without running the ELT battery down?

Post Thanks / Like

The setup to marry the GPS to the ELT supplies 12 VDC to the ELT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmanton View Post
    The setup to marry the GPS to the ELT supplies 12 VDC to the ELT.
    OK, that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Thought it might be smart to upgrade from the Narco ELT 10. What is everyone's opinion and or recommendation on a 406 mgz model?
    Just a heads up on the ELT issue; if you are looking on the ebay type market you may not know about this:

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/safety/p...13NM460018.pdf