Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PA12 trailing edge

Dundee,(Weston)NY and Hernando ,( Holder) Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PA12 trailing edge

I am recovering a set of PA-12 wings. It has a Lyc 150 and metal prop. Trailing edge has been repaired several times and is near destroyed.. A few months ago I put on a doubler to keep him in the air til I could do the recover. I am told this is a common problem when using the higher HP on the PA-12. Anyone have a good fix? We are not going to put flaps on it although I realize that would eliminate the problem. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PA12 trailing edge

Had the same problem with the 90 hp Super Cub. I'd make sure it is all nice and tight. Maybe some extra braces and a doubler inside. You might ask this on SuperCub.org as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Had the same problem with the 90 hp Super Cub. I'd make sure it is all nice and tight. Maybe some extra braces and a doubler inside. You might ask this on SuperCub.org as well.
    Thanks Steve,
    I put a doubler on the outside for a temp fix earlier and it seemed to help, but I don't know if it would be legal. That made a bit of a ridge on the trailing edge, but nothing objectionable. Not sure how a doubler could be put on the inside. We are replacing the whole TE, but that has been done to this plane before and it just broke again. Will see if the Super cub folks will accept me. I appreciate your help. Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Make sure everything is tight. Have seen the butt rib loose on the spar in Cubs with a lot of time. I was thinking if you took some standard trailing edge like on a Champ and cut it down and slid down inside the Piper TE to double it up. With the 150 hp someone is gonna wish they had added flaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Make sure everything is tight. Have seen the butt rib loose on the spar in Cubs with a lot of time. I was thinking if you took some standard trailing edge like on a Champ and cut it down and slid down inside the Piper TE to double it up. With the 150 hp someone is gonna wish they had added flaps.
    Sounds logical. I am replacing butt ribs and tank ribs w/ Univair. Everthing will be TIGHT. Would you run the doubler full length of the TE or just between the ribs? I agree on the flaps, but that would mean getting into the fuselage also and i'm not going that deep. What do you think about a doubler OVER the TE? Could even be a bit wider. Messing w/ legality?? Thanks Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would run it inside and at least as long as the prop wash are but probably full length.

Post Thanks / Like

when you decide, would like to see a pic of what and how you decide to install the stiffner
    "Progress is our most important problem"