Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inspection rings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inspection rings

Ok beginners question. Are inspection rings glued to the inside of the wing fabric or the outside of the wing fab?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Inspection rings

They go on the outside and are attached with dope or poly-brush product depends on the system used. Poly-Fiber recommends in their STC to apply a ring of reinforcing fabric on top of the inspec. ring. I have done them with and without the extra fabric without a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I glue mine on the outside of the fabric after the first coats of poly brush. Then while applying the finishing tapes to ribs and edges etc, I also use a round fabric patch over the rings. If you cut the patch using a gallon can as the template, it works perfect for the correct size. I use plyobond contact cement rather than poly brush to glue them on. I covered one airplane once without the fabric patch over the top and it didn't take long for them to come loose and break away from the fabric wing. Especially in the slip stream area.
    Tom Ferraro
    PA22/20-160 N25TJ

Post Thanks / Like

Poly-fiber manual states a size of 7" dia. required a gallon can is close enough. Also if you put the ring in some reducer to let it soften then apply poly brush/ butyrate dope to the area before applying the ring they will stick for at least 25 years without the fabric patch. . It is best to use the patch.
    Last edited by wyandot jim; 10-17-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

When you cut out the patch, cut from the ring to the center point a bunch of times, about a half inch wide. Fold those tabs into the wing and glue them down inside. You don't really want two raw fabric edges around the rings interior edge. Maybe they wouldn't be a problem, but maybe they will be someday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

When you cut out the patch, cut from the ring to the center point a bunch of times, about a half inch wide. Fold those tabs into the wing and glue them down inside. You don't really want two raw fabric edges around the rings interior edge. Maybe they wouldn't be a problem, but maybe they will be someday.
    That's one of those oh s--t moments. Wished I had thought of that way back when.
    thanks Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

I did this as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the way I've done it on a couple of occasions
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I asked aboutimage.jpg the placements of inspection rings.