Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing RV engine baffles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Installing RV engine baffles

Quote Originally Posted by ysifly2 View Post
    I thought that was for cases of recording installation of mods or alterations via an STC or repairs using approved data such at AC43.13.
    In the case above the argument is that this would be an alteration, and therefore would need to be processed via field approval ?

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not all major repairs need an STC or field approval. This baffle repair most likely falls under minor repair. But, if your IA says it is a major repair he will file a 337 but, not need a field approval. If the IA thinks it is a major alteration and wants to do this under field approval this may take a while and be much more of a hassle. I would stick to making this kit as much like the original equipment as possible. Skip the hub piece unless your IA is fine with it without doing a field approval. I don't think it matters much anyway for engine performance. I doubt anyone cares about installing the front cylinder blocks and if they do. Pop rivet them in latter and only if you find a need for them. Gilbert says they were on some original Piper engines.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My point was changing the cooling system isconsidered a major alteration. Did you alter the cooling system? I think engine monitor data might be good to have to use if you were to seek a field approval.

Post Thanks / Like

Replicating the original Piper baffle installation would meet the owner produced parts concept. Changing the baffle design would require approved data as that is a change to the basic cooling design. Fabricating those parts could also be owner produced parts, but you still need approved data to install them. Order 8300.16 gives a list of what constitutes approved data. You A&P/IA would cite that approved data on the 337.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to stir the pot because it is Still cold and dark here. The definition of Basic Design means different things to different people. For example would I need a field approval to switch form the old felt style seal to the newer silicone one. Due to the curve of the silicone it does change the cubic inches of space above the engine. Would that be a change to the basic design? Tape over the oil cooler? Is that part of the cooling system? It is not a big issue in some parts of the country or to some IA's. A few years back local airport had a courtesy/safety inspector at the field pretty much all summer. He asked about the metal tape on my front cylinders and I explained the use of it to even out cylinder cooling. He thought it was a great ideal!! Like most of this stuff just depends on who you talk to. I have seen aircraft that required a lot of work/money for things to be changed when a different IA looked at it.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Once again depending on who you talk to AC 23-27. Is baffling a engine part?

6. ENGINE PARTS. You may install substitute/alternate engine parts for a part that is approved as original equipment or a PMA part for the engine installed on your aircraft in the following instance:
    a. The substitute/alternate part is PMA approved for a certificated engine, even ifthat engine is not the model approved for use on your aircraft model, and
    b. If the part is identical to (used on multiple engine models) the part for your engine model, or is listed as an approved substitute part by the engine manufacturer, then you may install the alternate part, and document the installation with only a logbook entry.
    Approval: This is a minor alteration and you may document it by a logbook entry. The logbook entry must reference the manufacturer's identification and industry specification for the original and replacement part.

DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Moving the oil cooler to the rear baffle institutes a major alteration in my mind and I got a field approval to accomplish it.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 12-07-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Baffles are an airframe part. PA18 baffles don't fit a PA22.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Moving the oil cooler to the rear baffle institutes a major alteration in my mind and I got a field approval to accomplish it.
    Which is also why an STC now exists for this mod.

I don't know if air flow blocks on the front cylinders are a major alteration. My IA didn't think it was but, I did not ask my PMI.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Same here, field approved oil cooler relocation.
    Remote oil filter by STC
    Also have field approved alternator install.
    Starter by STC.
    Engine instruments by STC
    Dual digital fuel gauge by field approval.

Will get my baffle compliant by appropriate paperwork / installation / configuration

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got to the point in my project where I needed to finish up the FWF components. I ordered a set of the Vans O-320 baffles with oil cool and oil cooler mount this past week. Shipping was super fast. I opened them up last night and to tell you the truth it is a little overwhelming when you first see all those parts crammed in that box! I brought them to work with me today to start laying them out and reading through the supplied instructions. I want t a really good idea of what I am doing before I even think about starting to install them. The craftsmanship is very nice. For the costs I can not believe the quality. Having the guys on the forum that have done the installation before is a huge help and I plane to add to this thread and document the process from start to finish for others that may be wanting to do it in the future.