Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Artex ME406 Bad G-Switch

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Artex ME406 Bad G-Switch

Doing an annual inspection on a 2011 CC18-180 Top Cub. Get to the ELT inspection and using Artex manual to check the G-switch by shorting pins 5 and 12 and trying to set it off by throwing it like a football and it doesn't activate. A few bounces off the Bushwheel didn't help either. Though maybe I was missing something so I called Artex. After leaving messages I finally get someone to answer and find out there is a flat rate for a stuck G-Switch. As quick as they came back with that response to my question I knew they had seen this before. Sure enough New Zealand issued an AD against their ME406 ELTs in that country.
    https://www.acrartex.com/media/1267396/artex_sn_31.pdf
    http://www.caa.govt.nz/Publications/...0-4_JulAug.pdf
    Tried to get an RMA to send it in for repair on Thursday and Friday to no avail so I called just after they opened this morning and got a person who promised to send me an RMA shortly. When asked about this being the same issue the service notice and AD were against he said it was the same and that the flat rate repair will install the new style g-switch. Only $450 to the customer plus shipping. So if you have a ME406 Atrex ELT you might want to test the G-Switch more than once a year. All other tests were fine. Would hate to be slammed into the ground somewhere and this $1200 box in the back doesn't work.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Artex ME406 Bad G-Switch

Common problem on the old 121.5 ELT's. That problem was supposed to have been solved on the new generation 406 ELT.

Post Thanks / Like

I chose the ACK E-04. Less money to purchase and wired it transmit to GPS position from the navigator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allycat View Post
    I chose the ACK E-04. Less money to purchase and wired it transmit to GPS position from the navigator.
    That is the path I am planning on taking.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously it's just a wee-bit important that the G-switch works on one of these devices so testing and making sure it will trigger on impact is critical. However doesn't it seem a little steep for them to charge 1/3 of the cost of a new unit to repair it? Especially when you can buy their competitors ACK E-04 for about the same price as the repair. Granted we are talking aviation here but really?

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

I think a person shopping for a 406 ELT and knowing of the ARTEX problem would be wise to shop elsewhere.
    I wouldn’t install one if it was free. When you needed it, it might just not turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

very cheap materials used in there construction. probably about $10 to make... I know the ameri-king 121.5 ones were extremely prone to failing g-switches and were about the crappiest thing i ever saw with certification, but i see they are in doo doo now.

are the ack 406 units getting good reviews??
    If i didn't have to spare any expense i would probably go with the kannad 406. I installed several at work and they never had any issues.
    Last edited by wbaad; 02-12-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am looking at the ACK406 and adding a GPS receiver or the Emerging Lifesaving Technologies ELT when the spare cash is there.