Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: It is with great sadness....

Post Thanks / Like

Default It is with great sadness....

It is with great sadness (the hardest part is giving up on the dream) that I tell all my wonderful friends on shorwingpipers.org that I have to sell my wagabond project of the last 15 years. My doctors presented me with some bad news this week, and the reality is, I will not be able to finish it. Stage 4 prostate cancer with small cell carcenoma that has aleady spread to bone, liver and lymph system. They tell me with luck I might make it a year or so, so I have lots to do

To refresh anyone's memory, who is interested, It is a modified wagabond, set up tandem instead of side by side, sorta like a 3 place J-5. For any of you bigger guys, this is a real plus, as it is very comfortable for a 6-4 291 lb person like me.

It comes with all the tools and fixtures that I have for it plus a huge amount of spares and things that I was going to try on it. The project was pretty much complete except for the dacron for covering.

I was in the process of building the wings when I got sick. It was my intention to to add the 18 inch wing extensions so the fuselage is 21.5 inches longer than normal. IT is set up for electric trim control and flaps.

IT comes with two engines FWF. A 100 hp corvair engine that I converted myself and an O-290-d2 (I have all the logbooks for the lycoming) So you can build it any way you want.

You can see a video of us testing the corvair here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBKNQQyKOkY&t=59s

It has new 8:00x 6 tires and tubes, and new gerdes disc brakes. Lots more but I will reserve that for phone or in person conversations later. I would like to get 10,000 dollars for it so I can build my wife a cabin on the east edge of our property before I go. You can contact me

directly at topsaddleAT att.net or 573-422 3196

thank you Gary Richmond

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: It is with great sadness....

Gary, followed your posts with your personal mods and design for a "short wing".
    Was looking fwd as I am sure you were to see how it performed.
    Sorry to hear of your medical issues, hope the best for you in the time remaining.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Also followed your posts... very sad to hear of your situation. Thanks for letting the SWPO community know, Gary.

Walt

Post Thanks / Like

Gary,

I have enjoyed reading about your project and I'm sad to hear about your news.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm that really is bad news....very sorry to hear that.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary,

I too followed your posts and as you know I am also building a Wag-A-Bond. I can say that we met and talked when you stopped by my house in Maryland, and the pleasure was all mine. I will keep you in my prayers and wish you the best and hope you can sell your project quickly.

Steve Carruthers

Post Thanks / Like

Gary, So sorry to hear of your health problems, I hope your able to carry on and do what needs to be done.
    I too have followed your progress, and thought it was a cool project.

It's got to be so hard to let your dream go.....

Forrest

Post Thanks / Like

Gary, I'm so sorry to hear of the bad turn in your "C". I'll try to call you next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Positive thoughts and prayers for you, Gary!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gary, I'm very sorry to read about your health situation, I hope you and your family will face the future with love and comfort.
    I'll share your aircraft info with the groups I follow, maybe there will be an interest and someone can give it a new home.
    If there is a webpage with info please share that here and I'll post it in the groups.

Best wish and peace brother.

Glen
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"