Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First flight

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First flight

Congratulation on your first flight, enjoy the learning experience with your plane, it's quite satisfying to figure it all out.

I remember my first landing, it was an absolute greaser..... the second one really got my attention, touched on the mains and everything was fine, once the tail settled it made a hard right turn and headed right for the ditch and further along the Windsock....poured the coal to it and went around, I had to roll in aileron to lift the wing to get over the windsock....scared the crap out of me!! Found out after an uneventful landing that tailwheel was all screwed up and needed some serious maintenance...no real troubles since, but I'm always ready for some excitement.

Enjoy that new plane!

Post Thanks / Like

Never really had issues with landings in Pacers and TriPacers. Now consistent landings in the Howard, that’s a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    You know... I have to use a come-a-long to pull my plane into its tie down while on skis and as I was cranking it in yesterday I was wondering if I might brake something.

then I thought to myself wonder if anyone ever played carrier landing with small planes for fun. Would make a good air show contest event even. See, you are already one step ahead.

Rocket
    Is there a tail hook STC? Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjeep View Post
    Flew my plane (with instructor) for the first time today. Few quirks but I like it so far. Which is good since I bought it already. Lol. All good except the carrier landing
    That carrier landing is great practice for the back country!!!
    I remember my first landing. A great bounce and almost out in the field. The instructor let me figure it out and I got it all straight, but realized the time I had in the citabria and husky well this was a little different.
    Did 4hr with him and flew her back from colorado to new york. Best trip of my life in my pacer. I love this airplane and you will too!!

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Round two much better..

Post Thanks / Like

Took me a while to get used to carrying power to touch down softly in the Tri Pacer, and even longer to figure out how to touch down softly without power in - I tend to do well at it until I've got a friend along and I explain the theory of landing, at which point I bounce it. Give me a good 15 knot crosswind and some wind sheer though and it'll probably be a greaser!

Post Thanks / Like

Once we started coming in a little faster and leaving a bit of power it was fine. The airspeed indicator is reading faster than actual speed so we would sink at the end. We (instructor/mechanic) have about a dozen or more landings now and decided to get the airspeed indicator looked at before going any further. I had a habit of chopping power and gliding last half of final with the archer, tri pacer didn’t like it as much.. once landings are good instructor will sign off to make insurance happy. Then the real fun begins.