Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Cleaning poopy spars

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cleaning poopy spars

Finally some progress on the old girl. Tails all painted up, and onto the wings. Leading edge was full of chipmunk snacks so a lot of the ribs are pretty corroded. I purchased a new set from Univair instead of dealing with multiple rib repairs. I have no desire to prime or paint any of the wing structure as I will be long dead before the skin comes off again but I don't want to hurt the alclad on the spars(if there is any). Can I hit em with some red scotch brite to clean them or will this damage the alclad leaving them open to corrosion?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cleaning poopy spars

The spars are 6061 and I am not sure if the were alclad. I have etched them with Scotchbrite and then applied alodine. Have have usually put a light coat of epoxy primer but probably not necessary

I like the red and black tail feathers.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff, Thanks Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow- how many years' worth of accumulation is that? Or, what was the chipmunk population -- in the hundreds?? Ditto on the tail feathers-- nice!