Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Twitching Ammeter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Twitching Ammeter

Thought I’d ask if anyone has experienced/solved this before I tear into it ...

My Tripe has the Moody alternator conversion (35 amp) and a solid-state voltage regulator. Ammeter is steady on the charge side at idle but at cruise rpms it takes on a steady wiggle. I suspect it’s been like this for some time but now that I’ve installed the LED lights in the cabin I can really see the lights fluctuating. Haven’t put a meter on it yet ...

Chris

Addendum: I haven’t flight tested it but I think the alternator and the voltage regulator had different grounds. I joined them up ... will see next flight!
    Last edited by Chris Iriarte; 12-16-2018 at 04:45 PM. Reason: update

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Twitching Ammeter

I would hook a meter to the buss and when flying start turning loads off and see if it is a load issue or a charging issue. Be interested to see what you find.

Post Thanks / Like

Whelen type strobe lights will do this if have a really sensitive amp meter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I upgraded to a Plane Power solid state regulator during my overhaul last winter and my Amp Meter started acting erratic. It ended up being the alternator field breaker switch.
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Used to see oscillating/pulsating ammeters in Mooneys. They used push on blade connectors at the master switch and often cleaning the connections would cure this.

Don Broussard
    57 PA-22/20

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org