Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slip Stream Stitching

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Slip Stream Stitching

Quote Originally Posted by wyandot jim View Post
    As far as removing the rivets for recover. That will not be my problem I have seen it done on a Citabria yea it is a pain but not that big a deal. Champion, Husky, and Cubcrafters use rivets. Yes I still prefer rib stitching. To me it just looks better and more Airplaney.
    Jim
    You made me laugh at your answer. I hate drilling out rivets but, aluminum pull rivets are the easiest. Maybe, on balance rivets are quicker. I do enjoy rib stitching. Thanks for the info.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

90 Degree die grinder with a 2" 50grit disc. Takes about 3 alligators to grind off each head and the bucktail poppes out fairly easy with a touch of fenesse.

Not as fast as cutting the sown on fabric with a box knife but then again someone didn't have to sit there with a needle for hours cussing at their buddy for being blind or their wife cussing at you for not knowing how to tread something skinny and long like a needle into a hole. YMMV

Seems everything has its trade offs.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use a small pair of flush dikes to hold the bucktail while drilling the factory head.

Post Thanks / Like

It never bothered me stitching. I set the wing up verticals leading edge down, have all the holes marked, then push a needle through all the marked holes. I make a bunch of needles out of welding rod (grind one end to a pint, flatten the other with a hammer and drill a hole for the lacing chord, make them as long as you need) and set up about half a dozen of them with lacing chord. Send them all through one side on adjacent ribs, walk around the other side and tie off the 6 knots and pass them back through to the other side, rinse and repeat. If you have trouble tangling the chord, do every other rib. Use a close by hole to look inside the wing to spot the hole on the other side when you pass the needle through. Once you get into it, a short wing takes about half a day to stitch the entire thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    It never bothered me stitching. I set the wing up verticals leading edge down, have all the holes marked, then push a needle through all the marked holes. I make a bunch of needles out of welding rod (grind one end to a pint, flatten the other with a hammer and drill a hole for the lacing chord, make them as long as you need) and set up about half a dozen of them with lacing chord. Send them all through one side on adjacent ribs, walk around the other side and tie off the 6 knots and pass them back through to the other side, rinse and repeat. If you have trouble tangling the chord, do every other rib. Use a close by hole to look inside the wing to spot the hole on the other side when you pass the needle through. Once you get into it, a short wing takes about half a day to stitch the entire thing.

Same here, takes a lot less time when you have another stitcher on the other side who is doing an adjacent rib and you pass each other's needles but sometimes you gotta do it all yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip Stream Stitching

I never could understand when I see a wing on a set of saw horses and a guy with needle and rib stitch chord in hand. Climbing under and over just makes no sense!

Last edited by dgapilot; 03-28-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=dgapilot;115746]I never could understand when I see a wing on a set of saw horses and a guy with needle and rib stitch chord in hand. Climbing under and over just makes no sense!

Exercise at same time???

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I never could understand when I see a wing on a set of saw horses and a guy with needle and rib stitch chord in hand. Climbing under and over just makes no sense!

Hurts my back.
    98940034.jpg