Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Sad ending to an old 50 Pacer I have read about here

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sad ending to an old 50 Pacer I have read about here

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/0...-accident.html

Saw pics of this plane posted here, a not too common Pacer "115", thought they would repair it and get it back in the air, looks like it's being parted out on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Piper-Pacer...8AAOSwj~Vcvzk7

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/photo...l-club&cat=503

Last edited by SMO22; 06-12-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sad ending to an old 50 Pacer I have read about here

Interesting, the report says the pilot had 82 hours total in all aircraft and 109 hours in make and model.

Post Thanks / Like

Now don't confuse the issue with facts!

Post Thanks / Like

I purposely go out when wind is gusty and crosswind now, just to stay proficient. You learn from experience, too bad a nice plane was lost.

I remember the first time the tail got away from me, was about a 10 or 15 hour tailwheel pilot, I got it stopped without hurting the plane. The wind can be a devil looking for a soul to steal.. be ready for him like Johnny

"Devil, just come on back
    If you ever want to try again
    I done told you once you son of a bitch
    I'm the best that's ever been"

Beat the Devil, be better than he is like Johnny, be ready for that nose to pull hard and step on the rudder to show him you are better and get that upwind wing down, we can all handle crosswinds if we stay ahead and expect the unexpected.
    Last edited by SMO22; 06-14-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had 2 incidents in my Pacer career where I was glad I did not have booster tips. Boy was that close.....

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had been flying the Dakota Cub Super Pacer with the slotted wing all morning landing on runway 18. Cathy came out to the airport and I was going to fly with her in it. She wanted me to fly it from the left seat so she could observe before flying it herself. Had my mini-Aussie in the back seat. Upon touchdown the right wing came up, I lowered it with aileron and then the airplane went 90 degrees. I shoved the power in but she wasn't gonna fly. I was headed through the grass 90 degrees to the runway, down hill and towards a dtch. Eased on the brakes and got it stopped. Embarrased and mad at myself I went back to my hanger and discovered I had scraped the wing tip and the elevator counter balance. I couldn't figure out what had happened. I walked up to the runway where I had made my left turn and sat there a while contemplating what I had done wrong when I started getting wind gusts 90 degrees to the runway. Only thing I came up with was the wind was switching directions and funneling through the rows of hangers on the other side of the runway. Thousands of hours in Clippers and Pacers, I was pretty humbled.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    Interesting, the report says the pilot had 82 hours total in all aircraft and 109 hours in make and model.
    I know the pilot (gave him a ride in my Pacer once) and he might have had 9 hours in the PA-20 but most likely 5 or less. I trained some of the club members in that aircraft but not this pilot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I had been flying the Dakota Cub Super Pacer with the slotted wing all morning landing on runway 18. Cathy came out to the airport and I was going to fly with her in it. She wanted me to fly it from the left seat so she could observe before flying it herself. Had my mini-Aussie in the back seat. Upon touchdown the right wing came up, I lowered it with aileron and then the airplane went 90 degrees. I shoved the power in but she wasn't gonna fly. I was headed through the grass 90 degrees to the runway, down hill and towards a dtch. Eased on the brakes and got it stopped. Embarrased and mad at myself I went back to my hanger and discovered I had scraped the wing tip and the elevator counter balance. I couldn't figure out what had happened. I walked up to the runway where I had made my left turn and sat there a while contemplating what I had done wrong when I started getting wind gusts 90 degrees to the runway. Only thing I came up with was the wind was switching directions and funneling through the rows of hangers on the other side of the runway. Thousands of hours in Clippers and Pacers, I was pretty humbled.
    I remember flying at Corsicana well, the winds were like demons just waiting to humble you and always witnesses! Ain't a horse can't be rode and ain't a rider can't be throwed!