Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone around Redding/Chico willing to give me a second opinion on a buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone around Redding/Chico willing to give me a second opinion on a buy?

Aircraft mechanic who hasn't had much time around short wing Piper's...checking out an airplane today and il be doing a fairly thorough inspection checklist, but if it all looks good and someone is willing to take another look sometime this weekend/week I'd be willing to leave a case of beer and some avgas money for the help.

Aircraft has a substantial damage history from 1971, so I want to make sure I don't miss anything crucial.

I've read hours of posts on here and I've got a nice foundation of knowledge now, but nothing compared to some of you all!

Thanks

DT
    Last edited by Deltatango; 08-10-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone around Redding/Chico willing to give me a second opinion on a buy?

Can you share with us a N# pic.of plane . Someone or multiple might know the plane more from recognition history of it .

Thanks
    Shortwing n spamcan smasher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone around Redding/Chico willing to give me a second opinion on a buy?

Quote Originally Posted by eskflyer View Post
    Can you share with us a N# pic.of plane . Someone or multiple might know the plane more from recognition history of it .

Thanks
    Shortwing n spamcan smasher
    Yes of course. Here is the aircraft.

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search...-type=aircraft

Post Thanks / Like

I took a look and wasnt impressed. The paint was nice but the tubular frame had surface corrosion.Fabric was recovered In Ceconite , repainted in last few years. The condition of the fabric and paint looked good, although it was clear it was a garage/hangar spray. When engine was started, oil pressure was 63 psi max across all RPM. CONSIDERING the engine was cold this to me was a major red flag. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The owner said the airplane just had the OIL pump AD and just needed "a few washers" to make it right. He also mentioned that when the engine warms up the pressure goes higher (incorrect).

If anyone wants pictures I will share them. I took many and did a thorough inspection.
    Last edited by Deltatango; 08-16-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi DT

"The owner said the airplane just had the fuel pump AD and just needed "a few washers" to make it right."

I have owned N2714P (Built the same day probably as your seller's 2709P) for about 16 years, have inspected and fondled every inch of her in the "owner assist" annuals, and have never seen a fuel pump in her or the other six PA22s in our club.
    "Fabric was original and repainted."
    Fabric was original cotton from 1955? That's hard to believe. Knock $20K off the price if that's true because it will need a complete restoration.
    It looks pretty in the photos anyway.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    Hi DT

"The owner said the airplane just had the fuel pump AD and just needed "a few washers" to make it right."

I have owned N2714P (Built the same day probably as your seller's 2709P) for about 16 years, have inspected and fondled every inch of her in the "owner assist" annuals, and have never seen a fuel pump in her or the other six PA22s in our club.
    "Fabric was original and repainted."
    Fabric was original cotton from 1955? That's hard to believe. Knock $20K off the price if that's true because it will need a complete restoration.
    It looks pretty in the photos anyway.
    Correction...OIL pump...I mistyped that. And as far as the covering, I’ll edit the post. I have to check my records, but I believe it was recovered in 1976 in Ceconite. recovering included replacement of several wing ribs ,I believe in conjunction with a substantial damage accident in 1971. No records with owner, but report available from ntsb.

no flight between 71 after accident and 76.