Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Single best modification for the Pacer / Tri-Pacer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Single best modification for the Pacer / Tri-Pacer?

The mod I would do is fuel. Lots of fuel.

Maybe you are already an accomplished shortwing driver, in which case this will not apply to you. But I am reminded of the shopping question... "What piano do I need to buy to play like Beethoven?"

Unless you are really capable of wringing out what your airplane can do, you won't really know which types of mods might benefit what you are hoping to accomplish. Because most people that are unable to accomplish things with their airplanes suffer primarily from not being truly proficient, not from owning and incapable aircraft.

Not intended to be slamming anybody, and it may not apply to you...but that is what your question made me think of.

For me, the answer is bigger tires. For what that is worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Best mod for me was tablet mount on yoke for my Samsung tablet and Naviator. (yea I went cheap android) If you want to spend the extra bucks for Ipad and foreflight have at it but for me the samsung works fine for a $200 investment. I have my homemade $100 adsb in unit as well.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    The mod I would do is fuel. Lots of fuel.

Maybe you are already an accomplished shortwing driver, in which case this will not apply to you. But I am reminded of the shopping question... "What piano do I need to buy to play like Beethoven?"

Unless you are really capable of wringing out what your airplane can do, you won't really know which types of mods might benefit what you are hoping to accomplish. Because most people that are unable to accomplish things with their airplanes suffer primarily from not being truly proficient, not from owning and incapable aircraft.

Not intended to be slamming anybody, and it may not apply to you...but that is what your question made me think of.

For me, the answer is bigger tires. For what that is worth.
    Fuel is a good one. I have a total of 58 Gallon in four wing tanks. Which gives me a lot of flexibility. I use the extra tanks about four to five times a year for either long trips (longest legs I have flown are between 6 and 6.5 hours) or when I get to an airport where the fuel is really cheap, I bunker fuel.

Last weekend I picked up my daughter from college to come home for the weekend. By filling up all the tanks I avoided the expensive fuel at the airport where I picked her up and we had a very quick turn around time since I didn't need to fill up. This got me in and out before some thunderstorms moved into the area.

Lots of fuel is good.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    Best mod for me was tablet mount on yoke for my Samsung tablet and Naviator. (yea I went cheap android) If you want to spend the extra bucks for Ipad and foreflight have at it but for me the samsung works fine for a $200 investment. I have my homemade $100 adsb in unit as well.
    I agree. I use IFly on my 7 inch Android. It works great flying all over the West. I especially like the good terrain features in the mountains.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    Fuel is a good one. I have a total of 58 Gallon in four wing tanks. Which gives me a lot of flexibility. I use the extra tanks about four to five times a year for either long trips (longest legs I have flown are between 6 and 6.5 hours) or when I get to an airport where the fuel is really cheap, I bunker fuel.

Last weekend I picked up my daughter from college to come home for the weekend. By filling up all the tanks I avoided the expensive fuel at the airport where I picked her up and we had a very quick turn around time since I didn't need to fill up. This got me in and out before some thunderstorms moved into the area.

Lots of fuel is good.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Juergen, Sounds like a real benefit. Can you tell me what STC you used? What is the original source of the extra tanks - Aftermarket, or another aircraft with similar wing shape? Eleven gallons each? Do you now have four (4) tank covers? Are they gravity fed with separate lines, or do they feed the stock inboard tanks with a pump? Is that why you have a fuel valve just below your panel? Two fuel valves? That sounds like such a major modification to each wing, I can't imagine it was cheap or easy. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

They are Stoddard auxiliary tanks with 11 Gallons each (STC attached). The original fuel selector controls the left wing while the additional selector under the dash controls the right wing. All tanks are gravity fed, no fuel pumps. All tanks have fuel senders and I can select to monitor either the main or aux. tanks for the (estimated) fuel. The aux. tanks have no covers, just the fabric going over the top.
    Left main fuel tank for all operations, no take off or landing on the right main if less than 1/3 tank and the aux. tanks in cruise only. it is much more simple than it sounds. I have never seen another (Tri)-Pacer with this fuel set up. They were on the Pacer when I bought it 20 years ago.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    Best mod for me was tablet mount on yoke for my Samsung tablet and Naviator. (yea I went cheap android) If you want to spend the extra bucks for Ipad and foreflight have at it but for me the Samsung works fine for a $200 investment. I have my homemade $100 adsb in unit as well.
    I use a small Samsung tablet also but use Avare. Not sure about mounting it on the yoke though. Besides blocking more of the instrument panel, that's almost too close to see and/or interact with the tablet. I typically leave it on the seat next to me if there's no one in that seat. Might add some velcro to the back to keep it from sliding around.

Recently built a Stratux for the ADS-B IN function. Really not used it much so far but it seems to work.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    I use a small Samsung tablet also but use Avare. Not sure about mounting it on the yoke though. Besides blocking more of the instrument panel, that's almost too close to see and/or interact with the tablet. I typically leave it on the seat next to me if there's no one in that seat. Might add some velcro to the back to keep it from sliding around.

Recently built a Stratux for the ADS-B IN function. Really not used it much so far but it seems to work.
    As a VFR pilot, after my engine instruments, Airspeed and altimeter, my GPS is my most important instrument.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

They are Stoddard auxiliary tanks with 11 Gallons each (STC attached). The original fuel selector controls the left wing while the additional selector under the dash controls the right wing. All tanks are gravity fed, no fuel pumps. All tanks have fuel senders and I can select to monitor either the main or aux. tanks for the (estimated) fuel. The aux. tanks have no covers, just the fabric going over the top.
    Left main fuel tank for all operations, no take off or landing on the right main if less than 1/3 tank and the aux. tanks in cruise only. it is much more simple than it sounds. I have never seen another (Tri)-Pacer with this fuel set up. They were on the Pacer when I bought it 20 years ago.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    I’ve got Atlee Dodge 30.5 gallon tanks for 61 gallons of fuel on board. I wonder if that wouldn’t be an easier/cheaper way to get legs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    I had a guy come by the other day with 2 brand new Staddard tanks he bought with some other parts.