Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Optional rear heat muff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Optional rear heat muff

Anybody have one of these kicking around that's in better shape than mine? I've tried to reinforce the muffler end. Will have to try again --not happy with the result yet-- but thought I'd ask here. This is apparently for those PA22s that had the optional rear heat (with two heat boxes on the firewall). Looks like Univair part #U10843-003 and #U10764-003... (Must be made of solid gold!!)

Thanks -- WaltDSC07980.jpgDSC07981.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Optional rear heat muff

That is actually used for the carb heat and the two chambers around the muffler can are used for the front and rear seat heat.

Post Thanks / Like

Ours is in pretty rough shape as well. However, based on the pricing from univair, I think repairing it makes a lot more sense. Univair is pretty proud of all of the exhaust parts for the pacer on that page.

I'm certainly not a sheet metal person so I'm not qualified to say anything. However, sure seems like this could be made for a lot less than that univair price. Not saying it would be easy but...

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Last edited by smcnutt; 09-05-2019 at 06:52 AM.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Acorn welding up here in Edmonton,AB makes new ones

http://www.acornwelding.com/products..._Tri-Pacer.pdf

with the rather favorable exchange rate ( about 30%)to CDN dollars in your favor it might be worth taking a look

they do quality work

shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

Curious how their pricing compares....but not curious enough to call. Post if you find out.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was a mess when I got this plane, looked like a pile of patches and was cracking through all over the place. I hemmed and hawed but then finally got the solid gold ones from Univair because I was sort of expecting if I got a used assembly it might be as messed up as my own.

Where feasible, I try to buy new parts just to refresh things, but it does get expensive.

I will pass on that if you do get a new one, you will need to drill and fit it. The holes are not pre-drilled.

As Steve said, the rear seat heat comes off the Muffler, the shroud you have pictured is for carb heat.

If you assemble the airplane without the shroud, the rear seat heat connection can be routed to the carb heat, which my IA allowed me to do for a year while I thought about how to replace my messed up one.
    Last edited by Troy Hamon; 09-05-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link, gliderman; just sent them an email. I'll post with their response.

Troy, hello! Yes, I'm of the same mind: if I can afford it, usually better to go new... I'll try once again to reinforce the crack-riddled muffler end of the muffs (looks like the small ends were already reinforced), but I'll keep my options open.

Here's a better view of the tender end of the upper half; the lower is worse, with all those stress cracks, all of which have now been drilled. Pretty ugly. Also some evidence of previous welds/repairs to these pieces, a recurring theme here.

DSC07992.jpg

Thanks for all the responses!

Walt
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 09-05-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Thanks for the link, gliderman; just sent them an email. I'll post with their response.

Troy, hello! Yes, I'm of the same mind: if I can afford it, usually better to go new... I'll try once again to reinforce the crack-riddled muffler end of the muffs (looks like the small ends were already reinforced), but I'll keep my options open.

Here's a better view of the tender end of the upper half; the lower is worse, with all those stress cracks, all of which have now been drilled. Pretty ugly. Also some evidence of previous welds/repairs to these pieces, a recurring theme here.

DSC07992.jpg

Thanks for all the responses!

Walt
    Walt, I would roll a doubler and rivet it over those cracks.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I've done, Steve, I just didn't like the way it came out so I'll do it over. Turns out my pieces have a bit of taper to them, so it's not just a straight roll. I'll see what I can do. I'm sure I can make an improvement in each of those pieces. (Back to the drawing board!)

Walt

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are like me it only takes 3 times to get it like you like it.