Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: PA-22 Shop in New Mexico

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-22 Shop in New Mexico

Hello, all. I'm new to TriPacers and new to the forum. For four months I've been flying a 1954 PA-22 135 which relocated to my area near Albuquerque in 2019, and I am looking for a A&P and IA with PA-22 experience. Annuals, ADs, likely O-320 swap when the time comes, etc.

Calls to all the local repair shops haven't yielded any results. They all seem like nice enough folks, but none with specific PA-22 experience.
    Hoping someone can offer a recommendation within a couple hundred miles (I need the XC hours anyway), otherwise I may be making an appointment with Pierce Aero...

Thanks.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 Shop in New Mexico

Mark,

Talk to the EAA chapter there, 179. They are very active and I know of at least one person there that restored a Taylorcraft. Also, there’s a fellow in Las Cruces that rebuilt a Stinson ... chapter 555 there.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A buddy and I landed Sandia East for fuel on our way back from Utah and saw a Tri-Pacer come in and go in a hangar. Wanted to go talk to him but we had weather coming in at home and bugged out quick. That wouldn't have been you would it?

Post Thanks / Like

Steve- That would be me. I love our little airpark, although the DA and/or wind gusts have kept me grounded at times that I'd prefer to be flying. I've taken off at 9K DA and only managed 200 fpm on climb out. Haven't attempted it on days above 9K.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes indeed! I spent a few years in that area with my -150. Can't imagine trying to get around with an O-290!!

Is John Daffer still there? He'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We came through in two Super Cubs on a Saturday and heard you flying around and you landed and parked in a hangar close to the fuel pumps as we departed. One was a Camo military Super Cub and mine has a read nose and rudder.IMG_20200607_105441.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Rick and Cleo Chamberlain. Chamberlain aviation near Lordsburg. I bought RaggedyAnn sight unseen in part because of the thoroughly detailed logs while Rick was maintaining her for the previous owner. Cleo was great to work with as a broker as well. I flew to KLSB from KGVT to pick her up with a friend who knows rag and tube pipers. We brought tools. Didn't touch a thing on it. It was actually in a bit better than advertised. Flew it for about 3 years before starting the restoration (I knew that was coming when I bought it). If I was local, Rick would still be doing the annuals for me. At the time they advertised that they were willing to travel to perform maintenance. Hope this is helpful.