Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: PA-16 left door stc

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-16 left door stc

Hi,

I'm looking to add a left door to my PA-16. Did you know how much will be the weight gain with the Trimmer Seaplane door and Day and Night door?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Clipper9; 01-18-2021 at 07:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PA-16 left door stc

Day and Night is heavier because of the large upright tube that gets installed. A good thread here.
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...-night-Inc-Stc

Also if you Google search this "Day and Night vs Trimmer left door site:shortwingpipers.org" you will find a lot of info.

Post Thanks / Like

Not that the left door is in my current plan, but does it interfere with the stock Clipper fuel gage? Something I’ve been thinking is to use PA-18 tanks and the PA-18 sight gages with the skylight STC. Would make a nice clean installation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Do you normally fly with the right pilot stick installed or removed? Makes it easier to get in and out without it installed.

Thought about this, not sure it will work or not, make a stick out of 4130 tubing and cut it in two pieces at the point a few inches forward of the 90° angle at the bottom, cut another piece of tubing a 4" long and 1/8" diameter larger so it slides over the stick and drill holes through both bolt the back and pin the front so you have a right stick that can be takin in and out with a pin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    Do you normally fly with the right pilot stick installed or removed? Makes it easier to get in and out without it installed.

Thought about this, not sure it will work or not, make a stick out of 4130 tubing and cut it in two pieces at the point a few inches forward of the 90° angle at the bottom, cut another piece of tubing a 4" long and 1/8" diameter larger so it slides over the stick and drill holes through both bolt the back and pin the front so you have a right stick that can be takin in and out with a pin.
    To each their own, But I don't think you want to modify the stick. Flying with the right stick out isn't a bad idea however.

Post Thanks / Like

I remove my right stick when my flies with me which is most of the time. Piper designed it to be removed easily. They even provided a bracket on the right kick panel to hold it when removed. I replaced the Piper installed pip pin (ball lock pin) that holds the stick in the socket with a AN3 bolt and nylon lock washer. Just takes a couple of minutes to remove it with two 3/8” wrenches or sockets.

Actually I only put the right stick in when I fly Young Eagles or someone who wants to fly a Clipper.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-18-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You are right dgapilot about the fuel gauge. Do we need an stc for the left tank also in order to change the fuel gauge/fuel tank type?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper9 View Post
    You are right dgapilot about the fuel gauge. Do we need an stc for the left tank also in order to change the fuel gauge/fuel tank type?
    Using the AFS-300 job aid, changes to or addition of permanent fuel tanks or fuel system components is identified as ENG meaning it may be eligible for approval by means other than STC, however may not qualify for field data approval. This data may be obtained by DER or ODA approved engineering data or through ACO coordinated field approval.

That said, the PA-18 fuel tank is just another dash number of the same basic tank, and the PA-18 fuel gages are "approved for the PA-18". The only reason they weren't used in the PA-16 and early PA-20 was that there were headliners in the way. With the skylight STC, the headliner is gone, and use of wing root fuel gages is now possible. I don't thing I would have an issue doing a DER approval for changing the left tank on the PA-16 or both on the early PA-20. For the right tank on the PA-16, that's an STC, so it would be a deviation to the STC, and I don't see any problem with that either. Keep in mind that the fuel filler location changes on the PA-16, so a new tank cover would also be needed. I suppose an existing tank could have the nipples welded in, but as old as the tanks are, welding with the level of oxidation could be problematic.

A quick search on ebay shows a very limited supply of used PA-18 tanks, but PA-22 tanks are readily available.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help. This will probably be a challenge to do this here in Canada.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper9 View Post
    Thanks for your help. This will probably be a challenge to do this here in Canada.
    Didn’t realize you were in Canada. Different rules. Talk to your AME to see what you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk