Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery box vents and drain with light weight battery?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery box vents and drain with light weight battery?

I have purchased the stc to delete the old fuse box and starter switch button to relays under the seat, and install a odessy light weight battery. My question is why would I need the battery box fresh airs vents and the drain?
    I’m making new sheet metal now and looking at these gear pans and tins and thinking of deleting a few holes on the belly. Can I get some opinions, on thoughts? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Battery box vents and drain with light weight battery?

Check with the manufacturer. But, most information says gasses are not released.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

As I understand it, because the TC says the battery box needs vents, they're supposed to be there...

So I repaired them and set them up when I did my Odyssey battery & Bogert battery box mod STC. But no, I don't believe these batteries outgas. Another of those situations where technological advances have made some of the old "rules" superfluous, but what're ya gonna do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would delete them, the battery is seal, not like the old lead acid batteries that out gassed acid onto the belly fabric. Don't miss fixing the damage they caused.

Post Thanks / Like

Walt, will the new box still be big enough for a Concorde or Gill?
    A future owner (or even you) might in a pinch need to put a full size battery in there, just because emergencies happen and stuff.
    Will the new arrangement allow that, ie, box size, cable connections, venting necessary for acid breather?

Also, if you overcharge an Odyssey, it really swells up (I've seen it in another plane that had a charging problem) and who knows what might come out of it? In flight, those vents might keep things cooler and stop released gasses from entering the cabin.

Food for thought...

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

If you we replacing the battery box with something different, you will need an AMOC on the battery box AD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

As I said, I repaired and left intact the vents on the box, and the box itself remains the same size -- but I did paint it bright red (on top of the "required" acid-resistant black paint).

The box mod consisted of removing the OEM through-bolt connectors so the new copper cables can pass through nylon insulators, with rubber grommets, into the box and connect directly to the battery.

Per the STC, I had to fashion an additional steel strap to secure the smaller Odyssey battery in the now-what-appears-to-be too big box. A standard-size battery, either the old FLA Gill or a newer Concorde of the correct size, will fit right in with removal of the steel strap.

Wish I had some pics to post here, but those I took back in 2013 all seem to have disappeared from my computer....

Post Thanks / Like

I use the original box, there was a drain tube about 5 inches long sticking out the bottom of the fabric, I chopped that off even with the fabric, and secured the battery in the box.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    As I said, I repaired and left intact the vents on the box, and the box itself remains the same size -- but I did paint it bright red (on top of the "required" acid-resistant black paint).

The box mod consisted of removing the OEM through-bolt connectors so the new copper cables can pass through nylon insulators, with rubber grommets, into the box and connect directly to the battery.

Per the STC, I had to fashion an additional steel strap to secure the smaller Odyssey battery in the now-what-appears-to-be too big box. A standard-size battery, either the old FLA Gill or a newer Concorde of the correct size, will fit right in with removal of the steel strap.

Wish I had some pics to post here, but those I took back in 2013 all seem to have disappeared from my computer....
    i did the exact same thing in 2015, might be some pictures in my recover thread, “N7743D is a project.” Two AN-3 bolts and the strap is out, shoving the cables around should be doable. The tough part is the lugs were replaced with smaller ID pieces so they work on the metric terminal bolts, so on my bird you may not be able to sub in a Gill.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

When I did mine (again, sorry, but no pics), I used a piece of soft-drawn 1/4" copper tubing as an insert, or more accurately a bushing, on the cable lugs to reduce the ID of the lug hole.

I sawed off a short piece (1/8", +/-) of tubing, slid it into the lug hole, then squished it in a vise so it expanded and stayed put, then used a small round file to enlarge the ID to just fit the metric bolts on the Odyssey battery. Final step was to file of any excess copper sticking up above the top & bottom surfaces of the lugs.

Made for a nice, tight, electrically-solid connection, easily popped back out to return to original lug ID if necessary.

Walt