Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: '62 PA-22 125 with a Lycoming 290D

Post Thanks / Like

Default '62 PA-22 125 with a Lycoming 290D

Purchased Smiley Wiley 2 months ago. I am owner #23. Good news: newly overhauled O-290D (103 hours). Bad news: MX11 not working, and a multitude of minor items. It is hard to find information for this model with this engine. Anyone else out there have this combination in your former PA-22 108 with the O-290D engine upgrade? Could use some experienced advice. I guess with 60 years of service (total time AF around 4000 hours), there will be lots of squawks. Think I will start with the radio first. I have a handheld backup for now. Once we get the MX11 working, I will have lots of questions on a lot of other items. I have already gotten some good advice on transitioning from a C-150 to the Colt, so I know this is a knowledgeable group and willing to share.
    Happy Flying!
    Jackson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: '62 PA-22 125 with a Lycoming 290D

Welcome aboard. The only difference are the part numbers on some of your engine parts. everything else is the same. Google is your friend. Google "search subject" site:shortwingpipers.org and you will find threads on that subject on this website.

Post Thanks / Like

Default '62 PA-22 125 with a Lycoming 290D

Just a point of reference, you have a PA-22-108, not a PA-22-125. There should be no airframe changes other than tachometer limits. The engine installation should have been done with an STC, but the engine installation likely conforms with the PA-22 (no dash) as that had the 125 hp O-290-D. Depending on when and how the O-290 installation was certified on the PA-22-108, there may be a required Flight Manual Supplement.

In any case, enjoy your new (to you) airplane!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there is an STC for the o-290D installation. Had some time to work on the radio and found some issues with antenna connector to the radio tray and got it fixed. Also found some time to work on a few electrical issues. Got the strobes to work so I'm counting that as a victory. If and when the weather clears here in Waco, TX, I'll be flying.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s a good bet that grounds are the issue with your electrical problems. Corrosion and dirt make for bad conductors, and as these airplanes age that corrosion and dirt build up. Using the airframe as the ground path only exacerbates the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk