Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Vacuum system removal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vacuum system removal

I am getting ready to install a uAvionics AV30C to replace a failed gyro and remove the vacuum system. This on a VFR PA22.
    The installation instructions indicate to remove the vacuum system a field approval is necessary. My question is what do you use for approved data?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vacuum system removal

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I am getting ready to install a uAvionics AV30C to replace a failed gyro and remove the vacuum system. This on a VFR PA22.
    The installation instructions indicate to remove the vacuum system a field approval is necessary. My question is what do you use for approved data?
    A couple wrenches, a screw driver and a few zip ties.

Post Thanks / Like

The vacuum system was optional equipment on the PA-22 series. Item 105 is not listed as required equipment on the TCDS, so it is a minor alteration to remove it. Log book entry covers it along with W&B change. Since you will be filling out a 337 for the STC to install the AV-30, you can put it there, but note that it was optional equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DGAPILOT.
    I am interested to what all that stuff weighs.

Post Thanks / Like

Gilbert,
    Removed all my Venturi driven system couple years ago with with log book entry and weight and balance , revised equipment list. Large Venturi, filter, hoses, tubing, regulator and VSI. Also 1 clock all came to 4.3 lbs. Also removed (1) old Large AN Horizon @ 2.8 lbs. About 8 lbs of stuff that was installed in 60’s.

Replace it all with the ForeFlight’s synthetic vision driven off my Stratus in receiver, antenna driven off my Stratus ESG transponder mounted on top wing fairing. iPad mini 5 dash attached. Haven’t missed any of it. I did retain my electric turn coordinator.

No longer need that bigger engine in the ole 51
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I am interested to what all that stuff weighs.
    I removed the entire vacuum system from a Cessna 140 and put all the parts on a scale.
    Exactly ten pounds.
    It is a VFR airplane, it doesn't need it.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

I removed the vacuum system, DG and Horizon and installed an electric turn coordinator years ago, using a log book entry. My records show I saved 12 pounds. I recently upgraded the turn coordinator.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Gilbert, I might be interested in buying all that vacuum stuff for the right price....could you pm me if interested in selling?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfgoe View Post
    Gilbert, I might be interested in buying all that vacuum stuff for the right price....could you pm me if interested in selling?
    I also recently removed my vacuum system and have all the parts if youre interested. Vacuum pump (dry), Lycoming O-320 pump gear, gauge, regulator, etc. 210-867-5174